1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm trying to find max height of a projectile

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    I'm trying to find max height of a projectile and I only know the angle of projection and the time it is in the air. No clue where to start working this problem...don't I need initial velocity to start?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2004 #2
    Welcome to PF. Here we will provide u with clues/hints if u show ur try.

At max height there will be no component of velocity in y direction so Vy=0
    Eqn of trajectory:
    [tex] y=xtan(\theta) - \frac{gx^2}{2V_0^2 cos^2(\theta )}[/tex]

Diff above to get y_max

[tex] y=v_0 sin(\theta) t- 0.5 gt^2 [/tex]
    for [tex] y_{max} : t= \frac{v_0 sin\theta }{g} = 0.5 T [/tex]

Where T is the time in Air
    u wont need initial velocity
    [tex]T= 2v_0 sin\theta * g^{-1} [/tex]
    so basically u know initial velocity as well
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  4. Mar 29, 2004 #3
    I still don't see how I don't need the initial velocity. I can plug everything else into the equation. I'm using the equation y=v*sin(angle)*t +.5*g*t
    Is this the right equation? If so, why don't I need the velocity, and how do I get around it?
  5. Mar 29, 2004 #4
    negative max height?

I used the equations and found the initial velocity, and it was negative, so then when I put everything back into the y-max equation I got a negative number for the y-max. I don't think that's right, where did I go wrong? Please help ASAP b/c I have class in 45 min!
  6. Mar 29, 2004 #5
    there should be -g coz velocity is in opposite direction
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?