1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm Trying to Prepare for Nuclear Engineering

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    Greetings, Everyone!

My name is Daniel, and I just signed up for PF today! I felt it looked really cool, and that I would be wise to collaborate with peer engineers, and seek advice from them! I am preparing to graduate from Crowder College (In Neosho, MO), a 2yr school, with a degree in Pre-Engineering. My school has their "Pre-Engineering" program set up with Missouri S&T (Formerly UMR), to prepare local students seeking an engineering degree from Missouri S&T (and now UARK- Fayetteville). This is my last semester and I am graduating in less than 2 weeks! (sooo stoked by the way) I have all summer to prepare for my upcoming studies at Missouri S&T in Nuclear Engineering, and would like to take advantage of this time I have. I am enrolled in 15 hours this coming semester, and they are as follows:

NUC ENG 105 - Intro Nuclear Eng (2 Credits)
    with:Lucas Tucker

NUC ENG 205 - Fund/Nuclear Engineering (3 Credits)
    with:Ayodeji Babatunde Alajo

NUC ENG 206 - Reactor Operations I (1 Credit)
    with:William Bonzer

NUC ENG 221 - Reactor Fluid Mechanics (3 Credits)
    with:Gary Mueller

PHYSICS 107 - Intro To Modern Physics (3 Credits)
    with:John Story

STAT 213 - Applied Engineering Stat (3 Credits)
    with:n/a (undetermined staff member)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you have attended Missouri S&T (or UMR under the same professors), I would really appreciate any "pointers" you could send my way. Other than that, what should I prepare my self for exactly? I have Calcus 1 - 3 experience, Differential Equations, Physics 1 - 2, Statics (I am currently performing poorly in that class), Chemistry 1 - 2, Intro to C++ (A small taste of C++), and Introduction to Computer Aided Drafting (Novice level drafting in AutoCAD). What "foundations" should I build ahead of time? I understand that "Rolla" has a notorious reputation for being a tough school (is it revered as such amongst you guys?) and want to make the transition from a small community college to it as easy as possible. Thank you VERY much for the advice, and I look forward to the day that I actually become a Nuclear Engineer!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted