1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm very confused with an a level maths q

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1

liz

the question:
    (im presuming n^2 means n squared)

prove the following result: "a traingle with sides that can be written in the form n^2+1, n^2-1, and 2n (where n>1) is right angled.
    show, by means of a counter example, that the converse is false.

this q was taken from the back of the book "the curious incedent of the dog in the night-time" and there was a full proof but i dont understand some of it.

it start by exmplaining we need to prove which side is the longest by doing:

n^2+1 - 2n = (n-1)^2

if n>1 then (n-1)^2 >0

therefore n^2+1 > 2n

similarily (n^2+1) - (n^2-1) = 2

therefore n^2+1 > n^2-1

so n^2+1 > n^2-1.

does anyone understand this?????

the rest is worked out using pythagoras but then the converse bit has completly lost me.

if anyone would like to explain, then i would be very grateful. thanks!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    The converse would be:

If we have a right-angled triangle, then it's sides satisfy [tex] n^2 +1, n^2 -1, 2n [/tex]. So you find a single particular example where this fails, and succeed in showing that the converse is not true.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Ro-me-o

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

liz

thanks thats really helpful. do you understand the n^2+1-2n = (n-1)^2 ....... stuff?

liz

5. Apr 11, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's really just arithmetic- well, fancied up a little!

If a- b is a positive number, then a> b. Do you understand that?

To show that n2+ 1 is larger than 2n, look at the difference:
    n2+ 1 - 2n.

That is equal to n2- 2n+ 1= (n- 1)2 and a square is never negative. (If n= 1, that can be 0 but if n> 1 it is positive and so n2+ 1 is larger than 2n.

Similarly, to show that n2+ 1 is larger than n2- 1 (which is almost obvious anyway) look at the difference (n2+1)- (n2- 1)= (n2- n2)+ (1- (-1))= 2 which is positive.

(The reason I said "almost obvious" is that it should be clear that n2+1> n2> n2-1.)

Once you know that, to use the Pythagorean theorem, look at
    (n2+1)2= n4+ 2n2+ 1

(n2-1)2= n4- 2n2+ 1
    (2n)2= 4n2

so (n2-1)2+ (2n)2= n4+ 2n2+ 1. Yep, c2= a2+ b2 so this is a right triangle.

The converse would be "If a, b, c are the sides of a right triangle (with a,b,c integer valued?), c being the hypotenuse, then c= n2+ 1, a= n2-1, b= 2n for some integer n. My first thought was the simple 3,4,5 triangle, but that turns out to work: 3= 22-1, 4= 2(2), 5= 22+ 1. Okay, what about 6, 8, 10?

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

c = 13 is a counterexample.

7. Apr 11, 2005 #6

liz

thank you it looked more difficult than it is. but in my defence i showed it to my boyfriend who is just finishing his maths A level and he couldn't understand it either. a counter example that works is 65, 60 and 25.

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I wish I knew how to say this, but I think the set of all 3-tuples (m(2n + 1), m(2n2 + 2n), m(2n2 + 2n + 1)), for natural m and n, will give you the lengths of the sides of all right triangles with sides of natural length. And I think n = 1 is the only value for which (m(2n + 1), m(2n2 + 2n), m(2n2 + 2n + 1) = (x2 - 1, 2x, x2 + 1), for some natural x > 2. So every element of the set of all 3-tuples (m(2n + 1), m(2n2 + 2n), m(2n2 + 2n + 1)), for natural m and n, with n > 1, should be a counterexample. Just some casual observations - maybe someone else could try to prove it. :wink:

9. Apr 12, 2005 #8

liz

i dont know i dont really understand how you got that probably cos i dont know what "3- tuples" or "natural m and n" means. i didnt actually think of the counter examle myself. the question with the answer including the counter example was taken from a book. i worked out that the 65, 60 and 25 triangle is a right angle using pythagoras then used 65= n^2+1 to get n=8. then the other sides would be 8^2 -1 = 63 and 2n = 16. which isnt 60 and 25 therefore proving that not all right angled have sides n^2+1, n^2-1 and 2n.
    or so i thought. im probably wrong, im a bit out of my depth with this question.

10. Apr 12, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Don't worry, it's simple. You already know the natural numbers; They're the members of the infinite set {1, 2, 3, 4, ...}. A tuple is just a finite sequence of objects, like (1, 2, 1). Order matters for sequences, so (1, 2, 1) is not the same as (2, 1, 1). There are x many objects in an x-tuple. So a 3-tuple is a sequence of 3 objects, a 10-tuple is a sequence of 10 objects, etc.
    You're correct- your counterexample is actually my counterexample in a way- they form similar triangles (meaning, among other things, the lengths of their sides are proportional). My example was (5, 12, 13)- multiply each term by 5 to get your example.
    I'm trying to prove the first part of my suggestion in another thread. I'll post my result, in case you're interested.

11. Apr 13, 2005 #10

liz

yes i am interested, thank you.

12. Apr 14, 2005 #11

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I was wrong. Though (m(2n + 1), m(2n2 + 2n), m(2n2 + 2n + 1)) always gives you the sides of a right triangle, it doesn't give you the sides of all right triangles. You can read all about the solution I was looking for here and here. (BTW, the 3-tuples I've been talking about are called Pythagorean Triples, and I discovered they have a long and interesting history.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook