Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm wondering about a movie.

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    On t.v, I saw part of a movie, or what looked to be a movie. Anyway, there was a tribe of North Americans living in an idyllic atmosphere. They communicated with a series of clicks, and they were uninfluenced by technology; furthermore, they were unaware of the metropolis several miles away. A glass bottle was found and caused stress amongst the tribe - a girl was hit over the head with the bottle and cried; the event caused a silent night within the clan.

Does anyone know what this movie is? It was strangely alluring in an outlandish sort of way.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Are you sure that they were North Americans? It sounds a lot like 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' produced in South Africa in '79. You can find it, and the sequel, in most video stores. (ps: The lead in it wasn't an actor; he was a real African tribal chief.)

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might also like this documentary:
    http://www.der.org/films/nai-kung-woman.html
    if you're interested in learning more about the !Kung San people.
    We watched this in anthropology class this summer. They filmed this at the same time The Gods Must Be Crazy was being shot so you get to see a little of what's going on behind the scenes.

Though not a very accurate portrayal of the lives of the San people, The Gods Must Be Crazy is a very funny movie. It's actually one of the few movies I own. I believe it was the fire-stomping rhino that did it for me - that was just hilarious :biggrin:

5. Mar 22, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I can't remember any details about it -- it was a long time ago -- but I do remember laughing my ass off for hours. (It took me weeks to get it glued back on so that it would stay.)

6. Mar 22, 2005 #5

SOS2008

Gold Member

I think this is in reference to "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? This was based in Australia on pygmy's who become tainted by technology (a coke bottle dropped from a plane, which they fight over for all it's tool purposes). I believe there was a sequel too. Very good, funny family film (and why Danger probably doesn't know about it :rofl: ). I give it three stars. :smile:

7. Mar 22, 2005 #6

SOS2008

Gold Member

Oooops--just saw MIH's answer... So I guess I was right....?

8. Mar 22, 2005 #7

ShawnD

Science Advisor

The guy who made that movie also made a documentary called Animals Are Beautiful People. Sort of a whacky documentary; definitely worth watching.

9. Mar 22, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just have to point this one thing out: the San people do not live in Australia. They live in the Kalahari Desert in Africa. Actually, the film itself was originally recorded in Afrikaans, and translated later.

ok, one other thing: IIRC correctly, the Dobe Ju/'Hoansi group (and I am pretty sure this is the group from the movie) are not actually a tribe, but a band. Pastoralism and horticulture are a feature of tribes, but the Dobe Ju were traditionally foragers (hunter/gatherers).

10. Mar 22, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Australian pygmie's? If I knew anything about geography, that would confuse me.

11. Mar 23, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Pardon my ignorance. I've never really paid much attention to anthropology. I'm used to our Aboriginal culture here in Canada where Tribes are subdivided into Bands. For instance most of my native friends live on the Stoney (tribal) reserve, but can belong to either the Wesley, Chiniki, or Bearspaw band. Thanks for the insight. :smile:

12. Mar 23, 2005 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Actually, it was filmed in Africa in the Kalahari Desert.

13. Mar 23, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Oh, thou character assassin! Did you actually check back far enough to see who the initial respondent to this thread was? :tongue:

14. Mar 23, 2005 #13

SOS2008

Gold Member

Apparently I was "thread challenged" on this one, and somehow missed portions with all the answers on information I was fuzzy about... Well not too bad for an old lady with poor memory! :smile: Yeh, and maybe I shouldn't give you such a hard time...

15. Mar 23, 2005 #14
    We should switch to communicating in clicks here.

16. Mar 23, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Don't you even think about stopping! I just added you to my 'Buddy List' last night. I'd hate to have to erase you.

17. Mar 23, 2005 #16
    Someone (Moonbear), must have been poking it too much with the electroejaculator. :tongue2: :biggrin:

18. Mar 23, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks for bringing that up! I'd completely forgotten about that thread. More fuel for my perversion engine! :biggrin:

19. Mar 23, 2005 #18
    I'd say it was my pleasure to bring it up, but that would just provide more fuel. :biggrin:

20. Mar 23, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Too late! The mere suggestion of it... :approve:

21. Mar 23, 2005 #20

SOS2008

Gold Member

Oh the wonders of technology, and the day of the "little black book" when anything written in ink could not just be erased... :cry: Click, click, click, click, click. (I just gave you a hard time, but you'll have to get it translated. :tongue2:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?