I'm wondering about a movie.

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the conversation was about a movie that seemed to be about a tribe of North Americans living without technology until a glass bottle caused tension and a girl was injured. The movie was suggested to be "The Gods Must Be Crazy" produced in South Africa in 1979 and there was also a documentary about the !Kung San people. The accuracy of the portrayal of the San people was questioned and it was clarified that the movie was filmed in Africa, not Australia. The conversation also touched on the distinction between tribes and bands in different cultures and ended with some playful banter.
Dooga Blackrazor
On t.v, I saw part of a movie, or what looked to be a movie. Anyway, there was a tribe of North Americans living in an idyllic atmosphere. They communicated with a series of clicks, and they were uninfluenced by technology; furthermore, they were unaware of the metropolis several miles away. A glass bottle was found and caused stress amongst the tribe - a girl was hit over the head with the bottle and cried; the event caused a silent night within the clan.

Does anyone know what this movie is? It was strangely alluring in an outlandish sort of way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that they were North Americans? It sounds a lot like 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' produced in South Africa in '79. You can find it, and the sequel, in most video stores. (ps: The lead in it wasn't an actor; he was a real African tribal chief.)

You might also like this documentary:
http://www.der.org/films/nai-kung-woman.html
if you're interested in learning more about the !Kung San people.
We watched this in anthropology class this summer. They filmed this at the same time The Gods Must Be Crazy was being shot so you get to see a little of what's going on behind the scenes.

Though not a very accurate portrayal of the lives of the San people, The Gods Must Be Crazy is a very funny movie. It's actually one of the few movies I own. I believe it was the fire-stomping rhino that did it for me - that was just hilarious :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
The Gods Must Be Crazy is a very funny movie. It's actually one of the few movies I own. I believe it was the fire-stomping rhino that did it for me - that was just hilarious :biggrin:
I can't remember any details about it -- it was a long time ago -- but I do remember laughing my ass off for hours. (It took me weeks to get it glued back on so that it would stay.)

I think this is in reference to "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? This was based in Australia on pygmy's who become tainted by technology (a coke bottle dropped from a plane, which they fight over for all it's tool purposes). I believe there was a sequel too. Very good, funny family film (and why Danger probably doesn't know about it :rofl: ). I give it three stars. :smile:

Oooops--just saw MIH's answer... So I guess I was right...?

Danger said:
It sounds a lot like 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' produced in South Africa in '79.
The guy who made that movie also made a documentary called Animals Are Beautiful People. Sort of a whacky documentary; definitely worth watching.

I just have to point this one thing out: the San people do not live in Australia. They live in the Kalahari Desert in Africa. Actually, the film itself was originally recorded in Afrikaans, and translated later.

ok, one other thing: IIRC correctly, the Dobe Ju/'Hoansi group (and I am pretty sure this is the group from the movie) are not actually a tribe, but a band. Pastoralism and horticulture are a feature of tribes, but the Dobe Ju were traditionally foragers (hunter/gatherers).

SOS2008 said:
This was based in Australia on pygmy's who become tainted by technology
Australian pygmie's? If I knew anything about geography, that would confuse me.

Math Is Hard said:
the Dobe Ju/'Hoansi group (and I am pretty sure this is the group from the movie) are not actually a tribe, but a band. Pastoralism and horticulture are a feature of tribes, but the Dobe Ju were traditionally foragers (hunter/gatherers).
Pardon my ignorance. I've never really paid much attention to anthropology. I'm used to our Aboriginal culture here in Canada where Tribes are subdivided into Bands. For instance most of my native friends live on the Stoney (tribal) reserve, but can belong to either the Wesley, Chiniki, or Bearspaw band. Thanks for the insight. :smile:

SOS2008 said:
I think this is in reference to "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? This was based in Australia on pygmy's who become tainted by technology (a coke bottle dropped from a plane, which they fight over for all it's tool purposes). I believe there was a sequel too. Very good, funny family film (and why Danger probably doesn't know about it :rofl: ). I give it three stars. :smile:
Actually, it was filmed in Africa in the Kalahari Desert.

SOS2008 said:
Very good, funny family film (and why Danger probably doesn't know about it :rofl: ). I give it three stars. :smile:
Oh, thou character assassin! Did you actually check back far enough to see who the initial respondent to this thread was? :tongue:

Danger said:
Australian pygmie's? If I knew anything about geography, that would confuse me.
Apparently I was "thread challenged" on this one, and somehow missed portions with all the answers on information I was fuzzy about... Well not too bad for an old lady with poor memory! :smile: Yeh, and maybe I shouldn't give you such a hard time...

We should switch to communicating in clicks here.

SOS2008 said:
Yeh, and maybe I shouldn't give you such a hard time...
Don't you even think about stopping! I just added you to my 'Buddy List' last night. I'd hate to have to erase you.

Math Is Hard said:
I believe it was the fire-stomping rhino that did it for me - that was just hilarious :biggrin:
Someone (Moonbear), must have been poking it too much with the electroejaculator. :tongue2: :biggrin:

Artman said:
Someone (Moonbear), must have been poking it too much with the electroejaculator. :tongue2: :biggrin:
Thanks for bringing that up! I'd completely forgotten about that thread. More fuel for my perversion engine! :biggrin:

Danger said:
Thanks for bringing that up! I'd completely forgotten about that thread. More fuel for my perversion engine! :biggrin:
I'd say it was my pleasure to bring it up, but that would just provide more fuel. :biggrin:

Artman said:
I'd say it was my pleasure to bring it up, but that would just provide more fuel. :biggrin:
Too late! The mere suggestion of it... :approve:

Danger said:
Don't you even think about stopping! I just added you to my 'Buddy List' last night. I'd hate to have to erase you.
Oh the wonders of technology, and the day of the "little black book" when anything written in ink could not just be erased... :cry: Click, click, click, click, click. (I just gave you a hard time, but you'll have to get it translated. :tongue2:)

SOS2008 said:
Click, click, click, click, click. (I just gave you a hard time, but you'll have to get it translated. :tongue2:)
No I won't. :approve: That's the same language my mother speaks when her DentuGrip gives out. I know it well. :biggrin:

1. What is the plot of the movie?

The plot of a movie refers to the main storyline and events that take place throughout the film.

2. Who are the main characters in the movie?

The main characters in a movie are the central figures in the story and often drive the plot forward.

3. Is the movie based on a true story?

This question asks whether the events portrayed in the movie actually happened in real life or are fictional.

4. What is the genre of the movie?

The genre of a movie refers to its category or type, such as action, comedy, drama, horror, etc.

5. Who directed the movie?

The director of a movie is the person who oversees the creative aspects of the film, such as the acting, cinematography, and editing.