Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image capture system

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    I know this may not be the right place to post this question, but I figured some of you engineering folks might have some suggestions. I am looking for a way of capturing images through a device that easily interfaces with a computer. Scanners are out of the question for my application for several reasons. The best I can come up with is a web camera, but most that are available are lacking in necessary resolution. A digital camera is doable but more complicated since only the higher end cameras have software available to capture images from a PC. I am needing a low cost solution. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How many pixels do you need
    How much light do you have available
    Is the object moving, how fast do you have to take the picture
    What range, how fancy a lens do you need?
    Is the object fixed, do you need autofocus?

You get an awful lot of image quality for your money from regular digital compact cameras
    A lot of people have done hacks to control them from computers eg. http://www.camerahacker.com/books/Hacking_Digital_Cameras/ or http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
  4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    The image will be still and fixed, and will be approximately 10 to 14 inches away. As far as lighting goes, I can probably provide as much as I need. I'm not sure how many pixels I need. The more the better. However I will probably be stuck using a web camera, and most are under three megapixels. I'm basically trying to capture fine details at fairly close range. What I am trying to accomplish might just come down to figuring out how to get the best image quality with a less than ideal camera.
  5. Dec 18, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you need megapixel moving images then a webcam is probably the cheapest - but the lenses are poor so you might have to do a lot of calibration.

If you can settle for a single shot then either a compact or SLR digital camera would be best value. There are a number of official or hack ways of remote controlling the camera and downloading the data.
  6. Dec 18, 2008 #5
    I will only be capturing still images, but I plan on sticking with a web cam since I can have captured images immediately saved on the hard drive and don't have to worry about batteries. An SLR camera is way out of my price range. I wouldn't have any problems with this project if I had a decent budget. I'm curious about what you mean by calibration. What calibration can I make with a web camera?
  7. Dec 18, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

You may also consider mating a webcam to an SLR lens if the webcam lens proves insufficient...
  8. Dec 18, 2008 #7
    That sounds rather interesting. How would I do such a thing? And what exactly will that accomplish? Is it actually possible to get decent images with a 1.3 megapixel camera? I would love to hear about any other simple enhancements you can suggest.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?