Find Open-Source Image Compressor for Ubuntu/Windows 7

In summary, the person is looking for open source software to compress scanned images for their website. They also need advice on the best format and size for uploading graphs. The suggested software is GIMP and the recommended format is 256 color png or vector graphics (.svg). However, converting from bitmap to vector may not produce the best results.
gurudon
1.Hey friends I Want to Compress the image in order upload them in my website. I have scanned them now what i need to do is to reduce their size. For that i need open source software to compress them. so, will anybody help me for finding it.

2. Next problem is i have made graph using geogebra. So, i need to upload them too. But i don't have idea that which size will be best (pixel,width, breadth) and format like (.png, .eps, .jpg)

I will be thankful if anybody suggest me.

Note: Software that is supported by Ubuntu or Windows 7 (anyone).

Computer science news on Phys.org
GIMP comes to mind.

Format depends on the type of graph, in most cases I am using 256 color png (or even less color where possible). No eps, and graphs are usually line art which doesn't get compressed well by jpg, too many artifacts. Max width depends on the page design, but I would not use anything wider than 800 pixels, you don't want people to have to scroll page to sides to be able to see everything.

Graphs would be ideally compressed by vector graphics formats (I.E. .svg) and would scale to larger resolutions without increasing file size. Most browsers support them these days too.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I should have read better. I didn't realize you had scanned them in. Ideally you'd want to use just the raw data to generate the SVG. Some programs can convert from bitmap to Vector, but it usually doesn't do it in a very intelligent way.

Last edited:
thanx a lot. do you have any idea regrading open source image compressor?

Hello there,

I understand your need for an open-source image compressor for Ubuntu and Windows 7. There are several options available that you can consider.

For Ubuntu, you can try using GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) which is a free and open-source software for image editing and compression. It supports various file formats and has a built-in compression tool that allows you to reduce the size of your images.

Another option for Ubuntu is ImageMagick, a command-line tool for image manipulation and compression. It also supports various file formats and can be used for batch processing of images.

For Windows 7, you can try using IrfanView, a free and lightweight image viewer and editor. It also has a built-in compression tool that allows you to reduce the size of your images.

As for your question about the size and format of your images for uploading, it depends on the requirements of your website. Generally, .jpg or .png formats are preferred for web images, and the size should be optimized for web viewing. You can try experimenting with different sizes and formats to see which one works best for your website.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your website!

1. What is an open-source image compressor?

An open-source image compressor is a software program that is freely available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. It is typically created and maintained by a community of developers who collaborate to improve the software and make it accessible to everyone.

2. Why would I need an image compressor for Ubuntu/Windows 7?

Image compressors are useful for reducing the file size of images without significantly affecting their quality. This can be helpful for various purposes, such as optimizing website loading times, saving storage space, and sharing images more easily.

3. How do I find an open-source image compressor for Ubuntu/Windows 7?

You can find open-source image compressors for Ubuntu/Windows 7 by searching online or checking software repositories for popular options. Some popular open-source image compressors for these operating systems include GIMP, ImageMagick, and OptiPNG.

4. Are there any limitations to using an open-source image compressor?

While open-source image compressors are generally free and accessible, they may have certain limitations compared to paid versions. These limitations may include fewer features, slower processing speeds, and less user-friendly interfaces. However, many open-source image compressors are constantly being improved and may eventually overcome these limitations.

5. Can I contribute to the development of an open-source image compressor?

Yes, one of the benefits of open-source software is that anyone can contribute to its development. If you have coding or programming skills, you can contribute by fixing bugs, adding new features, or improving the overall performance of the image compressor. You can also contribute by providing feedback, reporting issues, or sharing the software with others.