Troubleshooting Image Embedding in Forum Posts

• Thread starter The Electrician
  • Start date
In summary, there is a problem with embedding images using the usual technique in post #6 of the thread mentioned. The "insert image" icon on the toolbar is not available when editing in advanced mode and the "insert [q u o t e] tags around selected text" icon appears instead. The user had to manually add the image code using the proper tags and URL, but it appears as a link to other viewers. The issue may be related to the recent change in the forum software.
Physics news on Phys.org
attachment.php?attachmentid=57232&stc=1&d=1364521046.png

[...]

attachment.php?attachmentid=57233&stc=1&d=1364520368.png

'Seems to work for me.

Did you happen to accidentally hit the "Insert Link" icon instead of the "Insert Image" icon on the toolbar? I'm guessing these might have changed appearance (and/or maybe even location on the toolbar) since the upgraded look of the site.

I notice something that may have to do with the problem.

Right now, as I compose this message, there is an icon in the toolbar for "insert image"; it's right under the "undo" icon, the arrow rotating to the left.

But, if I attempt to edit (in advanced mode) the referenced post, the insert image icon turns into a "Insert [q u o t e] tags around selected text" (I spaced out quote so it wouldn't be taken as a tag). There is no "insert image" icon on the toolbar when editing in advanced mode.

I actually put the image code into the post by hand, typing the "" and " " tags and inserting the URL between them. And, in fact, if I attempt to edit the post, that exactly what I see--the proper tags and URL.

But, you are right, it certainly looks like a link to the viewer who is not editing the post.

I wonder if I had used the toolbar icon for inserting an image when I first prepared the post, and then later changed the URL (because I didn't have the URL until I attached the image), if that would work?

The technique of editing in the image tags plus the URL has always worked before the recent change in the Forum software.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is my image not embedding properly?

There could be several reasons why your image is not embedding properly. First, check if the image file is in a compatible format, such as JPEG or PNG. If the file format is not supported, the image will not embed. Additionally, make sure the image file is not corrupted or damaged. You may also want to check if the URL or file path you are using for the image is correct.

2. Why is the image appearing as a broken link?

If the image is appearing as a broken link, it could mean that the image file is no longer available at the specified URL or file path. Check if the image file has been moved or deleted. It could also be due to an error in the code used to embed the image, such as a missing quotation mark or incorrect file extension.

3. How do I fix an embedded image that is not displaying?

If the image is not displaying, there are a few things you can try to fix it. First, check if the image file is correctly linked or embedded in the code. Make sure the file path or URL is correct. You may also want to clear your browser's cache and refresh the page to see if that resolves the issue. If the image is still not displaying, it could be a problem with the image file itself or with the website hosting the image.

4. Can I embed an image from any website?

Technically, you can embed an image from any website as long as the website allows hotlinking. However, it is generally considered good practice to only embed images from websites that you have permission to use the image from or that provide embed codes for their images. Using images without permission or proper attribution is a violation of copyright laws.

5. How can I make sure my embedded images are responsive?

To ensure that your embedded images are responsive, you can use CSS to set the image max-width to 100% and height to auto. This will allow the image to adjust to the size of its container and maintain its aspect ratio. You can also use media queries to set different image sizes for different screen sizes. Additionally, using a responsive image embedding tool or plugin can make the process easier.