Calculating the Height of a Friend's Image from 4.2m Away

In summary, the formula for calculating the height of a friend's image from 4.2m away is: height = (actual height of friend x distance to friend's image) / distance to friend. The units for the height and distance measurements should be the same, such as meters or feet. The distance to the friend's image is important because it determines the angle at which the friend's image is being viewed, which is crucial for accurate calculation of the height. This formula can be used for any distance to the friend's image as long as the actual height of the friend and the distance to the friend are known. The height of the observer does not affect this calculation, as it only takes into account the actual height of the friend
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

Your friend is 1.7 m tall.

What is the height of her image when she is 4.2 m from you?

Homework Equations

I used di/do and multiplied that by the height of the friend

The Attempt at a Solution

I did (4.2/3.5)(1.7) but it was wrong. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where the image is formed? On the retina? What is 3.5 in your attempt?

nevermind I found my mistake. thanks for the help though

What is the formula for calculating the height of a friend's image from 4.2m away?

The formula for calculating the height of a friend's image from 4.2m away is: height = (actual height of friend x distance to friend's image) / distance to friend.

What units should be used for the height and distance measurements?

The height and distance measurements should be in the same units, such as meters or feet.

Why is the distance to the friend's image important in this calculation?

The distance to the friend's image is important because it is used to determine the angle at which the friend's image is being viewed. This angle is crucial in accurately calculating the height of the friend's image.

Can this formula be used for any distance to the friend's image?

Yes, this formula can be used for any distance to the friend's image as long as the actual height of the friend and the distance to the friend are known.

Is this calculation affected by the height of the observer?

No, this calculation is not affected by the height of the observer. The formula only takes into account the actual height of the friend and the distance to the friend's image.