Real Analysis: Worked Examples and Graphical Representations

In summary, you should look for a book or website that explains the prerequisites for the real analysis text that you already have.
Highway
Does anyone know of a good resource for these types of problems?

I took an Intro to Real Analysis class as an undergrad and didn't do so well in it, but now I am working back through the book, and it is making A LOT more sense than it did back then.

However, I was looking for some worked out examples, and possibly graphing, to help me understand this stuff better as I go through it. . .

Does anyone know of a good book / site?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Highway said:
Does anyone know of a good resource for these types of problems?

What types of problems? The title of your post suggests something more elementary that the central themes of a real analysis course. Are you asking for a recommendation for another real analysis text? Or do you need a text that explains the prerequisites for the real analysis text that you already have?

What real analysis text do you have?

Text: Bartle & Sherbert, Introduction to Real Analysis, 3rd Edition

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471321486/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The class is the first proof writing class for undergrads that our school offers for math majors and other students who want to take more advanced math classes.

This is all in the first chapter of the book.

6BSYm.jpg

s7zev.jpg

Fo those pages, you need a "pre Real Analysis" book. I don't keep track of modern math texts and I haven't been a student since the 1980's. Let's hope some other forum member will know of such a book.

I don't know your purpose in reviewing the Real Analysis coures. I sense that what you want is the type of presentation that one see's in secondary math texts - useful graphs, detailed examples, important things highlighted in red etc. That would be nice, but for the material in a Real Analysis course, it maybe an unrealistic expectation. Also, that sort of presentation doesn't prepare you for advanced mathematics courses. In advanced courses, you should form the habit of making your own examples. The material must be understood in a verbal and legalistic fashion, not a graphical one. The exercises won't consist of ten or fifiteen problems that are solved by essentially the same technique.

I think "how to prove it" by Velleman contains a lot of such exercises...

Stephen Tashi said:
Fo those pages, you need a "pre Real Analysis" book. I don't keep track of modern math texts and I haven't been a student since the 1980's. Let's hope some other forum member will know of such a book.

I don't know your purpose in reviewing the Real Analysis coures. I sense that what you want is the type of presentation that one see's in secondary math texts - useful graphs, detailed examples, important things highlighted in red etc. That would be nice, but for the material in a Real Analysis course, it maybe an unrealistic expectation. Also, that sort of presentation doesn't prepare you for advanced mathematics courses. In advanced courses, you should form the habit of making your own examples. The material must be understood in a verbal and legalistic fashion, not a graphical one. The exercises won't consist of ten or fifiteen problems that are solved by essentially the same technique.

Thanks, I think I need to change my way of thinking to this -- I really am trying to bridge the gap between traditional "math" courses and these types of advanced math courses.

micromass said:
I think "how to prove it" by Velleman contains a lot of such exercises...

Thanks, I will check this out!

What are image maps and how do they work?

Image maps are interactive images that contain clickable areas or "hotspots" that redirect users to different web pages or perform specific actions. They work by using coordinates to define the clickable areas on an image and linking them to a URL or JavaScript function.

What is the purpose of using image maps?

The main purpose of using image maps is to make images more interactive and user-friendly. They allow for multiple links to be placed on a single image, making it easier for users to navigate and access information.

What is an inverse image and how is it different from a regular image?

An inverse image is the opposite of a regular image. Instead of displaying the actual image, it displays the negative or inverted version of the image. This can be achieved by using image editing software or by using CSS filters.

Can image maps be used on all devices?

Yes, image maps can be used on all devices as long as the device has a web browser that supports HTML and CSS. However, it is important to keep in mind that the clickable areas may appear differently on different devices, so it is important to test and optimize for different screen sizes.

What are some best practices for creating image maps?

Some best practices for creating image maps include keeping the clickable areas as large as possible, using descriptive alt text for accessibility, and testing the image map on different devices and browsers. It is also important to make sure the clickable areas are clearly visible and not too close together to avoid accidental clicks.