1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image method in dielectrics

1. Nov 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is attached.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that the question would return to a typical conductor problem when ε2 >> ε1 so for the quadrant one, I placed image charges of q_1 at (d1 , 0 , -d2), -q1 at (-d1 , 0 , -d2) and another q1 at (-d1 , 0 , d2) with q1 = (ε1 - ε2)*q/(ε1 + ε2). When I applies the boundary conditions, I find that the image charges for quadrant two is q - q_1 at (d1 , 0 , d2), -q1 at (-d1 , 0 , -d2) and q1 at (-d1 , 0 , d2), for quadrant four is q - q_1 at (d1 , 0 , d2), -q1 at (-d1 , 0 , -d2) and another q1 at (-d1 , 0 , d2). The boundary conditions are well satisfies with these image charges. However, I failed to find image charges for quadrant three satisfying both the continuity of electric field and voltage at the boundaries connecting it with quadrant two and four. I have been working on this question for days and I am really frustrated. Is my attempt of approach is incorrect? Thank you for any help!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK
    Are the q1 and -q1 necessary here? Can you satisfy the boundary conditions with just the q - q1 charge?

When finding the potential or field inside the blue dielectric, I don't think you need to work with each of the three blue quadrants separately. See if you can treat the entire blue dielectric with just one image charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted