Image Method for B-Field Calculation on Iron Plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the B-field of a conductor above an iron plate using the complex image method. It is mentioned that for a 2D calculation, a metal plate with perfect conductivity would only require reflecting the current at its surface. However, for a metal plate with µr = 1 and imperfect conductivity, the image current must be shifted by twice the distance of the complex skin depth. The discussion also touches on the challenges of introducing a µr > 1 and the use of computer codes to account for the non-linear and memory effects of iron's hysteresis loop. The conversation ends with a request for sources or an explanation as to why such a calculation may not be possible.
glj6
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to calculate the B-field of a conductor above an iron plate just using the complex image method. To keep it simple let’s consider a 2D calculation, the metal plate is infinitely deep and wide and the conductor is infinitely long and thin. If the metal plate has perfect conductivity, then it is sufficient to reflect the current only at the surface of the metal plate. If µr = 1 and the conductivity is not perfect, then the image current must be shifted by twice the distance of the complex skin depth. The approach gives very good results in comparison with Comsol results.

Now I ask myself how can a µr > 1 still be introduced there? A ferrite, on the other hand, can be calculated without problems using the image method, but the mixed form, e.g. iron, is problematic.
I hope someone can help me, at least with a source where someone has done something like this. Or someone can explain to me why such a calculation is not possible.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with any magnetic calculation involving iron is it’s hysteresis loop. For very weak currents/fields, the response is approximately linear, but in general the material properties are non-linear and involve memory effects so computer codes are the way to go.

Likes vanhees71
marcusl said:
The problem with any magnetic calculation involving iron is it’s hysteresis loop. For very weak currents/fields, the response is approximately linear, but in general the material properties are non-linear and involve memory effects so computer codes are the way to go.
Thank you very much for your answer. The hysteresis loop is only a problem near saturation, I would consider a linear behavior in my calculation. The same is true for my Comsol model.

1. What is the Image Method for B-Field Calculation on Iron Plate?

The Image Method is a mathematical technique used to approximate the magnetic field (B-field) produced by a magnet or current-carrying wire on a flat iron plate. It involves creating a "mirror image" of the magnet or wire on the opposite side of the plate and taking into account the effects of both the original and mirrored sources.

2. How does the Image Method work?

The Image Method works by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total magnetic field at a point is the sum of the individual fields produced by each source. By creating a mirrored image of the source, the B-field produced by the original source is cancelled out by the opposite B-field produced by the mirrored source, leaving only the B-field produced by the plate itself.

3. What are the advantages of using the Image Method?

The Image Method is advantageous because it simplifies the calculation of the B-field on an iron plate, which can be a complex and time-consuming process using other methods. It also allows for more accurate calculations by taking into account the effects of the plate's thickness and material properties.

4. Are there any limitations to the Image Method?

While the Image Method is a useful tool for calculating the B-field on an iron plate, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the plate is infinitely thin and has uniform material properties, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the method is most accurate for plates that are significantly larger than the source.

5. How is the Image Method used in practical applications?

The Image Method is commonly used in engineering and physics applications to calculate the B-field on iron plates, which is important for designing and analyzing magnetic devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in geophysics to model the Earth's magnetic field and in medical imaging to calculate the B-field produced by MRI machines.