Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image of Earth Without Water

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    I was wondering if there are any images of the Earth in 3D and flat, side projection that would show what the Earth looked like with all of the water removed and only the deep troughs and high plateau's remaining?

The reason I ask is in reference to KIC 8462852. Would it be possible for a large planet with all of the water evaporating or sublimated where the troughs and high plateau's left behind create enough of light disturbance when passing across in front of KIC to catch Kepler's attention?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Google Images is your friend... :smile:

I started to type Earth With No Water into Google Images, and it beat me to it. By the time I had typed Earth With... Google Images auto-suggested Earth Without Water. Give it a try... :smile:

4. Dec 8, 2015 #3
    What is the significant of water to earth surface?
    Consider this. The earth diameter is 6000 km. And the average ocean depth is 3KM.
    Okay, take Mariana Trench, 10km for example. It's only 0.17% its radius.
    And in this picture
    http://www.123rf.com/photo_7977199_...trophe-a-fantastic-assumption-of-the-fut.html
    Earth Without Water - Small.JPG
    And we can see clearly South America.
    The one below, it must be South Pole and at the right side a small glimpse of South Africa and I think some of Siera Leone, according to world map that we study.
    It's this South America that I'd like to ask.
    Suppose if the ocean water depth is 10 km, take the maximum depth and compare it with earth radius, 6000km, it's only 0.17%. Why South America is clearly visible?
    Is there some mechanism in earth continent that along its border with water, the sea floor rise somewhat vertical?
    I would have imagined earth without water is somewhat unrecognizable. Or is this is picture is not correct?
    Another video for earth without water that I find in YouTube

5. Dec 17, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook