1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image of two homographic transformations (Möbius transformations)

1. Jan 2, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

1) Let ##T## be the transformation over the extended complex plane that sends the poins ##0,i,-i## to the points ##0,1,\infty##. Prove that the image of the circle centered at the origin and of radius ##1## under this transformation is the line ##\{re(z)=1\}##.

2) For ##\alpha \in \mathbb C## such that ##|\alpha|\neq 1##, prove that the homographic transformation ##T(z)=\dfrac{z-\alpha}{-\overline\alpha z+1}## sends the circle ##\{|z|=1\}## to itself and sends ##\alpha## to ##0##.

The attempt at a solution.

1) Let ##T(z)=\dfrac{az+b}{cz+d}##. Then, ##T(0)=0##, so ##b=0##. ##T(i)=1## and from this condition we get that ##ai=ci+d##, so ##a=c-di##. From the last condition we get that ##c(-i)+d=0##, so ##d=ci##. Finally, ##T(z)=\dfrac{2z}{z+i}##.

Sorry if this is obvious but how do I show that for any ##z \in \{|z|=1\}##, ##T(z)=w## with ##w## of the form ##w=1+bi##, ##b \in \mathbb R##?.

2) I have the same problem, if ##z \in \{|z|=1\}##, I want to show that ##T(z)=w## such that if ##w=a+bi##, then ##a^2+b^2=1##.

Edition:

I could solve 2), what I did was ##{T(z)}^2=T(z) \overline {T(z)}## and I could prove that the last expression equals to ##1##.

I would appreciate some help for 1).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For 1) if you know Mobius transformations will map circles to either lines or circles then if you just compute T(1), T(i) and T(-i) and notice they are all on the line Re(z)=1 that will do it. If you want to be more explicit I'd multiply numerator and denominator of 2z/(z+i) by z* (remembering zz*=1 since |z|=1) and then use that z=a+bi where a^2+b^2=1 and convert it to rectangular form.

4. Jan 3, 2014 #3
    Thanks Dick!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted