Image uploading sites: What's the best option for image hosting?

• Thread starter DS2C
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses different options for uploading images, including the use of a third-party site like imgur or directly uploading to the forum. Some users mention difficulties with the imgur app and others suggest using the upload button on the forum. The conversation also touches on the issue of privacy and the use of personal websites for hosting images.
DS2C
What does everyone here use to upload images? Its been awhile but I've always used imgur. But now they force you to get their app. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
DS2C said:
What does everyone here use to upload images? Its been awhile but I've always used imgur. But now they force you to get their app. Any suggestions?
Put the images RIGHT HERE. Why bother with 3rd party sites that may go away?

phinds said:
Put the images RIGHT HERE. Why bother with 3rd party sites that may go away?
I think he means in general. I wouldn't appreciate people using PF as a general image host :biggrin:

Likes jackwhirl and symbolipoint
Greg Bernhardt said:
I think he means in general. I wouldn't appreciate people using PF as a general image host :biggrin:
Oh. I assumed he meant to HERE.

Oh I didnt know we could upload directly to here. Most forums I've been on haven't had that capability.
For context, I was trying to take a picture of my work to a problem and post it as an image.

DS2C said:
Oh I didnt know we could upload directly to here.
What did you think the UPLOAD button is for, at the bottom of the posting box? (genuine question, not intended to be snarky)

If you have an image to supplement a post here, by all means upload it here.

For general-purpose image hosting, especially for free, I don't have any ideas. I have my own web site, on a web-hosting service that I pay for, and I can link to images that I upload there. However, I participate in one forum where people carry on personal financial discussions, and I don't want the images I post there occasionally (e.g. graphs) to be traceable to my real identity. I've used imgur there, but apparently that's now out, from what you've said. There have been comments there recently that Photobucket is now useless for this purpose.

It may be different in looking at the forums on a phone browser, but the upload button requires a url link. To get a link, I've always use an image hosting site. Can I upload a picture directly from my phone into PF?

DS2C said:
Can I upload a picture directly from my phone into PF?
On my iPhone, using PF via a web browser (Safari), hitting the UPLOAD button gives me my Photo Library as an option. I've used that when traveling. Or I can take a photo right then and there. I don't know what happens under Android, and I don't know what happens in the PF app. I haven't seen any advantage to using the app, so I've never used it beyond a bit of experimenting.

Usually I post from my desktop computer.

DS2C said:
It may be different in looking at the forums on a phone browser, but the upload button requires a url link.
Are you sure about that? On Android the UPLOAD button takes me to folders of images on my tablet. It is IMG tag that requires a URL.

Yes the button under the PREVIEW button.
I was doing it with an Amazon Fire phone, but I think that's still Android.
The other day I got an iPhone and it shows now with other options too though. Not sure what the problem was but add it to a list of others I had with that phone.

1. What is an image uploading site?

An image uploading site is a website or platform that allows users to upload and store images on the internet. These images can then be shared with others through a link or embedded on other websites.

2. How do I upload an image on an image uploading site?

To upload an image on an image uploading site, you will typically need to create an account and then follow the instructions provided by the site. This usually involves selecting the image file from your device and clicking on the upload button.

3. Are there any size or file format restrictions for uploading images on these sites?

Yes, most image uploading sites have restrictions on the size and file format of images that can be uploaded. This is to ensure that the site can handle the storage and display of the images. Commonly accepted file formats include JPG, PNG, and GIF, and the maximum image size may vary from site to site.

4. Can I edit or delete images that I have uploaded on these sites?

Yes, most image uploading sites allow users to edit or delete their uploaded images. This can usually be done through the user's account settings or by accessing the image's specific page on the site. However, some sites may have a time limit for editing or deleting images.

5. Are there any privacy concerns when using image uploading sites?

It depends on the site and its privacy policies. Some image uploading sites may have public or private sharing options, meaning that your images can be viewed by anyone or only by those with a specific link. It's important to read the privacy policies of the site and adjust your sharing settings accordingly to protect your images.