Tracking Meniscus Profiles in ImageJ: Tips and Plugins for Automation

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automated
In summary, the conversation was about tracking the meniscus profile of water being drained from a cup using ImageJ. The recommendation was to enhance edges in the image and use a Hough-transform to locate the ellipse of the water surface. This can be done by converting the image to grayscale and using spatial methods to enhance vertical and horizontal lines. The Hough-transform is a statistical method that can determine the value of "b" which represents the surface of the water in the cup. This method can be done in ImageJ, but it may be more efficient to use other programs or even FPGA's for faster processing. The speaker has experience in this field and has successfully completed similar projects using these methods.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have a series of photographs taken of water being drained from a cup. I would like to automatically track the meniscus profile (not a particle) as it changes from photograph to photograph in ImageJ. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to start reading, or any plugins to use, so that I may do this?

Thanks a ton!

Technology news on Phys.org
You haven't attached a photograph, but I guess that you want to track something like an ellipse ( surface seen skew from above ).

Enhance edges in the image, then use a Hough-transform to locate the ellipse. Other geometric shapes may be found in the same way. The method is very accurate and robust.

Hesch said:
You haven't attached a photograph
Oops, I've now attached two, separated by a 1-second interval.

Hesch said:
Enhance edges in the image, then use a Hough-transform to locate the ellipse.
Are you referring to this plug-in: https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/plugins/ght/index.html

Attachments

• CFE_2_ICF_4_5_Koichi_Wakata_HD_113.jpg
    CFE_2_ICF_4_5_Koichi_Wakata_HD_113.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 451
  • CFE_2_ICF_4_5_Koichi_Wakata_HD_114.jpg
    CFE_2_ICF_4_5_Koichi_Wakata_HD_114.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 430
joshmccraney said:
Are you referring to this plug-in:
No, I'm referring to a course ( pattern recognition ) where I participated years ago, and a lot of experience afterwards.

First of all, you must convert this ".jpg" file into a ".bmp" file, gray scale with no compression. Now you can directly read color values pixel by pixel in the file.

By some spatial method you can enhance vertical and horizontal lines separately. By a Hough transform, you can determine two vertical ( you know where about ) lines in the image ( edges of the cup ). So now you can determine the vertical center axis in the cup.

The surface of the water in the cup ( middle section ) may then be expressed something like: y = ax2 + b , ( a<0 ). From the horizontal edge ( water surface ), you can determine sets of (x,y) placed on the surface edge, so knowing an edge pixel, you have two unknown: "a" , "b".

Now you "guess" some different values as for "a", until a "sharp" value as for "b" is found by means of a Hough transform. I think that this "b" is the value you want to determine. The Hough transform is a statistical method to find such a value, and it can be determined within at most 0.1 pixel accuracy.

If you include a vertical scale in the picture ( ml ), you may automatically read out the volume in ml.

The calculation steps are quite simple, but the number of calculations - say 5 megapixels - are huge. Therefore FPGA's are often used to support a processor in practical applications. But stick to assembler programming :wink:. Then I think you can calculate an image within, say 10 sec. ( not real time ).

Last edited:
Is this a course you are referring to? Can you do everything you described above in imageJ or are there other programs necessary?

joshmccraney said:
Is this a course you are referring to?
It was the firm "Learning Tree" that arranged a course in Stockholm ( Sweeden ) for one week. After this I got 2 months to experiment with my new knowledge and afterwards I made about 3 projects, measuring different industrial productions "on the fly". In one project the measurements/calculations were done by 28 cameras, 7 PC's and about 35 FPGA's.

I'm not familiar with imageJ, but have instead developed software myself, specifically for the application. As earlier said it's not complicated as each calulation step is simple. It's these:

for i1 := 1 to 1024 do
for i2 := 1 to 820 do
for i3 := 1 to 9 do
. . . . .

- loops that "eat" execution time. Hence the assembly coding and FPGA's. But if you can spend 10 sec. per photograph, you will just need a PC.

What is ImageJ Automated Tracker?

ImageJ Automated Tracker is a software tool that allows users to track and analyze movement in digital images or videos. It utilizes image processing and machine learning techniques to automatically detect and track objects in a given image or video.

What types of data can be analyzed using ImageJ Automated Tracker?

ImageJ Automated Tracker can analyze various types of data, including time-lapse images, microscopy videos, and satellite imagery. It can also handle a wide range of file formats, making it a versatile tool for tracking and analyzing movement in different types of data.

How accurate is ImageJ Automated Tracker in tracking objects?

The accuracy of ImageJ Automated Tracker depends on various factors, such as the quality of the input data, the complexity of the movement being tracked, and the accuracy of the user-defined parameters. In general, it has been found to be highly accurate and reliable in tracking objects in images and videos.

Is ImageJ Automated Tracker suitable for all types of movement analysis?

ImageJ Automated Tracker is suitable for various types of movement analysis, including single object tracking, multiple object tracking, and cell tracking. However, it may not be suitable for analyzing highly complex or irregular movements, as these may require more specialized tracking methods.

Can ImageJ Automated Tracker be used for quantitative analysis?

Yes, ImageJ Automated Tracker provides various quantitative measurements, such as speed, displacement, and acceleration, which can be used for further data analysis and interpretation. It also offers options for data visualization and export to other statistical analysis software for more advanced quantitative analysis.