Images and Lenses (explanation needed please)

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps and instructions for completing a Lab Report on the relationship between image distance and object distance for real images in a converging lens. The instructions provided are to set up a lighted candle, a converging lens, and a screen in a semi-darkened room and adjust the distances until a sharply focused image of the candle appears. The conversation also clarifies that the image of the flame is the image of the candle for practical purposes.
chibi_lenne
Okay, so I have to do a Lab Report, easy enough, I've done them before, but it isn't so clear, and when I tried doing it, I wasn't sure if I was even doing it right.

(Personal Note: DO NOT TAKE PHYSICS CORRESPONDANCE! ><)

Anyway, here's what I have to do.

The Lab Report is on the relationship between the image distance and the object distance for real images in a converging lens. These are the ONLY instructions they give me.

In a semi-darkened room, line up a lighted candle, a convering lens, and a screen. Hold the lens between the candle and the screen, so that the distance from the candle to the lens is about twice the estimated focal length of the lens. Hold the screen on the other side of the lens about the same distance away from the lens: that is at about 2f. Move the screen back and forth until a sharply focused image of the candle appears.

Now, my problem is...is it the image of the candle I'm looking for? (which seems highly unlikely) or the FLAME of the candle?

Physics news on Phys.org
it says the candle so i would assume the candle is what they meant

You can form a real image of anything you can see, but things that emit light are going to be easier to see than things that only reflect light. When you form the image of the candle, the image of the flame will be easier to see and to work with. Within the limits of your lab, I wouldn't worry over much about the difference - for practical purposes, the image of the flame is the image of the candle.

Thanks very much for clearing that up

What are images and lenses?

Images are visual representations of an object that are formed by the interaction of light with a lens or mirror. Lenses are transparent objects made of glass or plastic that can bend and focus light to create an image.

How do lenses form images?

Lenses form images by bending and focusing light rays that pass through them. This bending of light is known as refraction and is caused by the different densities of the lens material. The curved shape of the lens also helps to focus the light onto a single point, creating a clear image.

What are the types of images formed by lenses?

The two main types of images formed by lenses are real images and virtual images. Real images are formed when light rays actually converge at a point and can be projected onto a screen. Virtual images, on the other hand, are formed when light rays appear to diverge from a point and cannot be projected onto a screen.

How do concave and convex lenses differ in forming images?

Concave lenses are thinner at the center and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge when passing through them. This results in the formation of virtual images that are smaller than the object. On the other hand, convex lenses are thicker at the center and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge when passing through them. This results in the formation of real images that can be projected onto a screen.

What are some everyday applications of lenses and images?

Lenses and images have many everyday applications, such as in eyeglasses, cameras, microscopes, telescopes, and projectors. They are also used in medical devices, such as glasses, contact lenses, and surgical instruments. In addition, lenses are used in many scientific experiments and studies to observe and analyze objects at a microscopic or macroscopic level.