How Many Reflections Appear Between Angled Mirrors?

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving standing between two mirrors at a specific angle and determining the number of images of oneself that can be seen in the mirrors. The approach of using a recursive formula is shared, but it may not directly answer the question. The concept of "virtual images" is explained and used to estimate that there will be 3-4 visible images in the mirror for the given values. The conversation also includes a link to the solution set for further understanding.
fliptomato
Hi everyone--I've been mulling over a homework question from earlier in the term:

Suppose you are standinig in the middle of two mirrors of length [tex]L[/tex] separated by a distance [tex]D[/tex]. ((i.e. if you are standing at the origin, the centers of the two mirrors are at [tex]x=\pm \L/2[/tex])) The mirrors are at a relative angle [tex]\phi[/tex]. ((i.e. if the mirror behind you was in the yz plane, then the mirror in front of you will be rotated by [tex]\phi[/tex] in the xy plane))

The question is: how many images of yourself do you see in the mirror?

This seems like a purely geometry problem, given the constraints of [tex]L[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex], how many admissible angles [tex]\theta[/tex] (in the xy plane) will produce a ray that bounces around a certain number of times and ends up back at the starting point (with the added trivial subtlety that it must hit the front of your face, not the back of your head).

Anyway, I think I've got it down to a formula for [tex]d(\theta, n)[/tex] that is recursive in [tex]n[/tex], where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle at which you are looking at [tex]n[/tex] is the number of times (forward and back) that the ray is reflected. The problem is that this isn't particularly helpful to answer the question (how many images)!

The assigned problem gave the numerical values [tex]L, D = 1[/tex] meter, and [tex]\phi = 1[/tex] degree.

I have a copy of the solution for this case, but I can't even make heads or tails of it! (Indeed I'm skeptical if this is even the correct solution for this problem.)

I've posted this at:
http://www.stanford.edu/~flipt/upload/number3.pdf

Any feedback about my approach or a rough summary of what's going on in that solution set would be appreciated! (I'll take down the solution promptly after some discussion since it's not a good idea to leave such solutions online for next year's class!)

-Flip

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Flip,

Thank you for sharing your approach and the link to the solution set. I can provide some feedback and a summary of what is going on in the solution set for this problem.

Firstly, your approach of using a recursive formula for d(\theta, n) is a valid and effective method for solving this problem. It takes into account the angle at which the ray is reflected and the number of times it bounces between the mirrors. However, as you mentioned, it may not directly answer the question of how many images of yourself you see in the mirror.

To answer this question, we need to consider the geometry of the situation. The key concept here is the concept of "virtual images." Virtual images are formed when light rays appear to come from a point behind the mirror, rather than from the actual object in front of the mirror. In this case, the virtual images would be formed behind the observer, at a distance equal to the distance between the two mirrors.

Now, let's consider the specific values given in the problem: L = 1 meter, D = 1 meter, and \phi = 1 degree. Using your recursive formula, we can find that for \theta = 1 degree, n = 2, the ray will bounce back and forth between the two mirrors and end up at the starting point. This means that there will be a total of 2 images of the observer, including the real one.

But what about the virtual images? Each time the ray bounces between the mirrors, the angle of reflection will change due to the rotation of the front mirror. This means that there will be an infinite number of virtual images formed, each one slightly rotated from the previous one. However, only the first few images will be visible to the observer due to the limited field of view. Therefore, we can estimate that there will be a total of 3-4 visible images of the observer in the mirror.

I hope this helps to clarify the solution set and gives you a better understanding of the problem. Keep up the good work and keep exploring the fascinating world of science!

Hi Flip,

First of all, great job on working through this problem and coming up with a recursive formula for d(\theta, n)! It shows that you have a good understanding of the geometry involved in this scenario.

To answer the question of how many images you would see in the mirror, let's take a step back and think about the concept of reflections. When you stand between two mirrors, you are essentially creating multiple reflections of yourself. The first reflection is in the front mirror, and the subsequent reflections are between the two mirrors. Each reflection creates a new image of yourself, and the number of images you see will depend on the angle between the two mirrors (\phi) and the number of times the ray bounces between the mirrors (n).

Now, let's consider the recursive formula you came up with, d(\theta, n). This formula represents the distance between the original point (where you are standing) and the nth image. So, if we know the value of d(\theta, n) for a certain angle \theta and number of reflections n, we can calculate the distance between each image and the original point.

To answer the question of how many images you see, we need to find the value of n that makes d(\theta, n) equal to the length of the mirror (L). This is because when the distance between the original point and the nth image is equal to the length of the mirror, the nth image will overlap with the original point and you won't be able to see it.

So, in summary, the number of images you see will depend on the angle between the mirrors (\phi) and the number of times the ray bounces between the mirrors (n). To find the value of n, you can use your recursive formula and set d(\theta, n) equal to the length of the mirror (L).

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

1. How does an image appear in between two mirrors?

When two mirrors are facing each other, light from an object reflects off the first mirror and then bounces back and forth between the two mirrors. This creates an infinite number of reflections, which our eyes perceive as a series of smaller and smaller images. The image appears in between the mirrors because each reflection appears at a smaller angle than the previous one, creating the illusion of an image "inside" the mirrors.

2. Why does the image get smaller each time it reflects between the mirrors?

The image gets smaller because each reflection occurs at a smaller angle than the previous one. This is known as the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which light hits a surface) equals the angle of reflection (the angle at which light bounces off the surface). As the angle of reflection decreases with each bounce, the image appears smaller and smaller.

3. Can you see an infinite number of reflections in between two mirrors?

In theory, yes, you can see an infinite number of reflections in between two mirrors. However, in reality, the reflections become too small and dim for our eyes to perceive after a certain number of bounces. This is due to the absorption of light by the mirrors and imperfections in their surfaces.

4. Why do objects appear to be reversed in between two mirrors?

Objects appear to be reversed in between two mirrors because each reflection flips the object horizontally. This is because the normal (imaginary line perpendicular to the surface of the mirror) is flipped when light reflects off a mirror. As a result, the image appears to be reversed from left to right.

5. Are there any practical applications for images between two mirrors?

There are several practical applications for images between two mirrors. One example is in the design of periscopes, which use multiple mirrors to reflect light and allow a person to see around corners. Another example is in the construction of kaleidoscopes, which use multiple mirrors to create beautiful and intricate patterns. Images between two mirrors are also used in some optical illusions, such as the "infinite hallway" illusion.