Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Images don't show up in LaTeX

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    Hi, Im new to LaTeX and am having trouble putting images up on a document; I am using TeXnicCenter (in it u can use .jpg or .pnp files aprently but not .ps). i use

which I thought should be enough to display the image. compiling gives no errors, but when i open the document in GSview or acrobat, I can see a box outlining the image with the name of the image between but not the image itself. whats the problem? thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, firstly you should use {} instead of (), but I guess that's a typo on here. Erm.. I'm not sure, try using \includegraphics{filename.jpg}. Is the file "filename.jpg" in the correct folder?
  4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    thanks for the response; coincidentally enough, the image i am trying to use is called cristo.jpg haha ... yea that was a typo, I have it on the document as follows:

it seems like the program is recognizing the image, becuase the shape of the image is exactly like the cristo image (and i then tried another sample image which was a square, and the boundary show), for some reason it just prints the boundary and name but not the image itself when I compile ... could it be that my settings are wrong? I can't find anything...
    thanks again!
  5. Sep 14, 2008 #4
    Hello there,

I am using the code:
    \includegraphics[totalheight=0.8\textheight,viewport=50 260 400 1000,clip]{C:/Costas/Ph.D/documentation/Chapters/Chapter3-Efficient structures/latex development/Book1.pdf} % or png,bmp,pdf
    \caption{My pdf figure}

and I have the same problem. The images don't show up only the rounding frames. I thought that this problem might be in an Adobe Reader add on , so I did corresponded with them, I had no reply so far.
    Because I am using LATEX->PDF option I am not quite sure if this will work for a .pdf document nested in another .pdf document....
  6. Feb 3, 2012 #5
    I had the same problem today and I figured out it was the option of 'draft' in my case. After I deleted 'draft' option \documentclass[12pt,a4paper, draft]{article}, the image was displayed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?