Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Images in posts

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I can understand why the forum might not want to allow images that are linked from another server to be included in posts: if at a later date the poster removes the image from the other server, then the image won't show up in the post anymore, and it may make the post difficult to understand. However, why are images that are allowed to be attached to a post only displayed as thumbnails? There's already a size limit imposed on the uploaded images, so why not display them full size? Thumbnails in a post are annoying.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2
    I'm not an admin so I don't set the rules, but I do know that linking images from another server without permission is called "hotlinking" and is a very serious problem. Perhaps the admins wanted to be sure this problem did not occur.

As for your preference on thumbnails, perhaps post something in the Feedback section.

4. Oct 28, 2005 #3
    nm nm nm nm nm

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  5. Oct 30, 2005 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How are you able to tell that no one has read it?

Zz.

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

Since the last post is his, he thinks like that!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  8. Oct 30, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Thumbnails allow the pages to load faster.

9. Oct 30, 2005 #8
    Click on the thumbnail image to see the full size image. Thumbnails make the post cleaner and more uniform. If someone is interested in seeing the whole photo they will click on the thumbnail, if not they can scan past instead of being bombarded with full size images.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?