1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Imaginary i

1. Aug 4, 2005 #1
    I'm having some trouble figuring out how to simplify the following problem.
    I know that i= the sq root of -1, and that i^2=-1, but i'm not sure how to approach this problem.
    sq.rt.(-x^2-4x-3)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2005 #2
    i would start by factoring out the -1 and seeing if i can't factor the polynomial more.

4. Aug 4, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Exactly what is the problem? To simplify [tex]\sqrt{-x^2- 4x- 3)}[/tex]?

Any time you have something like this, involving a square root,even if it doesn't involve i, think about completing the square.

-x2- 4x- 3= -(x2+ 4x)- 3 and we can see that we need to add (4/2)2= 4 inside the parentheses to complete the square. This is -(x2+ 4x+ 4- 4)- 3= -(x2+ 4x+ 4)+ 1=
    -(x+2)2+ 1. The square root can be written as
    [tex]\sqrt{1-(x+2)^2}[/tex]. I don't see much more that can be done and I don't see that it has directly to do with i. Even though the original -x2- 4x- 3 has all "negatives", this can be positive. If x lies between -3 and -1, -x2-4x- 3 will be positive and the square root will be real.

5. Aug 4, 2005 #4
    [tex]\sqrt{1-(x+2)^2}[/tex] can be simplified more

6. Aug 4, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, yes, of course, how foolish of me! [tex]\sqrt{1-(x+2)^2}= \sqrt{(1-(x+2))(1+(x+2))}= \sqrt{(1-x)(3+x)}[/tex]

7. Aug 4, 2005 #6
    or even [tex]\sqrt{(-1-x)(3+x)}[/tex] :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?