How do you determine the cube root of (-1+i) in complex numbers?

In summary: This is based on the laws of exponents and De Moivre's formula. In summary, to determine (-1+i)^(1/3), you can convert it to polar form, take the cube root of the radius, and divide the angle by 3 using De Moivre's formula.
rpardo
I'm doing some practice problems for my mechanics exam tomorrow (good ol' SHM) and I can't solve this for the life of me:

Determine: (-1+i)^(1/3)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Write (-1 + i) in polar form (rexp(itheta)). Then multiply the angle by 1/3, and take the cube root of the radius.

Thanks very much for the answer. IT WORKS!
However, I don't understnad why/how. Whats is the reasoning behind multiplying then angle and then cube rooting the radius?

Think about the laws of exponents. If [tex]-1 + i = r e^{ i \theta }[/tex], then [tex](-1 + i)^{ \frac{ 1 }{ 3 } } = ( r e^{ i \theta } )^{ \frac{ 1 }{ 3 } } = \sqrt[3]{r} ( e^{ i \theta } )^{ \frac{ 1 }{ 3 } } = \sqrt[3]{r} e^{ i \frac{ \theta }{ 3 } }[/tex].

Taking the cube root of the radius should be obvious. The radius is a real number, and the cube root satisfies (AB)^1/3 = A^1/3 * B^1/3. Diving the angle by 3 is an application of De Moivre's formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre's_formula

rpardo said:
Thanks very much for the answer. IT WORKS!
However, I don't understnad why/how. Whats is the reasoning behind multiplying then angle and then cube rooting the radius?

To multiply two complex numbers in polar form [tex]a \angle b^\circ [/tex] and [tex]c \angle d^\circ[/tex], you multiply the radii (a x c) and add the angles (b + d), so the product is [tex]ac \angle (b+d)^\circ[/tex]

Cubing a complex number [tex]a \angle b^\circ[/tex] is then [tex](aaa) \angle(b+b+b)^\circ = a^3 \angle(3b)^\circ[/tex]

So, to find the cube root of a complex number, you can see that you take the cube root of the radius and divide the angle by 3.

1. What is an imaginary number solution?

An imaginary number solution is a complex number that is expressed in terms of the imaginary unit, denoted by i, which is defined as the square root of -1. It is represented in the form bi, where b is a real number and i is the imaginary unit.

2. When are imaginary number solutions used?

Imaginary number solutions are typically used in mathematics and engineering, particularly in fields such as electrical engineering and signal processing. They are also used in physics and other scientific disciplines to solve problems involving complex numbers.

3. How are imaginary number solutions represented graphically?

Imaginary number solutions can be represented graphically on the complex plane, where the real numbers are plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers are plotted on the vertical axis. The point where these two axes intersect is known as the origin, and every complex number has a unique location on the complex plane.

4. What is the difference between an imaginary and a complex number?

An imaginary number is a complex number with a real part of 0, meaning it is expressed in terms of only the imaginary unit i. A complex number, on the other hand, has both a real and an imaginary part, and is represented in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers.

5. Can imaginary number solutions have real-world applications?

Yes, imaginary number solutions have many real-world applications. In electrical engineering, they are used to calculate the impedance of a circuit, and in signal processing, they are used to analyze and manipulate analog and digital signals. Imaginary number solutions also have applications in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.