Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Imaginary number solution?

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    I'm doing some practice problems for my mechanics exam tomorrow (good ol' SHM) and I can't solve this for the life of me:

Determine: (-1+i)^(1/3)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write (-1 + i) in polar form (rexp(itheta)). Then multiply the angle by 1/3, and take the cube root of the radius.

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    Thanks very much for the answer. IT WORKS!
    However, I don't understnad why/how. Whats is the reasoning behind multiplying then angle and then cube rooting the radius?

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4
    Think about the laws of exponents. If [tex]-1 + i = r e^{ i \theta }[/tex], then [tex](-1 + i)^{ \frac{ 1 }{ 3 } } = ( r e^{ i \theta } )^{ \frac{ 1 }{ 3 } } = \sqrt[3]{r} ( e^{ i \theta } )^{ \frac{ 1 }{ 3 } } = \sqrt[3]{r} e^{ i \frac{ \theta }{ 3 } }[/tex].

6. Dec 13, 2009 #5

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Taking the cube root of the radius should be obvious. The radius is a real number, and the cube root satisfies (AB)^1/3 = A^1/3 * B^1/3. Diving the angle by 3 is an application of De Moivre's formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre's_formula

7. Dec 14, 2009 #6
    To multiply two complex numbers in polar form [tex]a \angle b^\circ [/tex] and [tex]c \angle d^\circ[/tex], you multiply the radii (a x c) and add the angles (b + d), so the product is [tex]ac \angle (b+d)^\circ[/tex]

Cubing a complex number [tex]a \angle b^\circ[/tex] is then [tex](aaa) \angle(b+b+b)^\circ = a^3 \angle(3b)^\circ[/tex]

So, to find the cube root of a complex number, you can see that you take the cube root of the radius and divide the angle by 3.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook