Solve Imaginary Numbers: 2*EXP(i*pi/3) -> 1+sqt(3)i

In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation using Euler's equation, but is having trouble understanding how to simplify the equation. The angle sqrt(2) is not in the unit circle, so the standard form of the equation z = x + yi is not applicable.
VeganGirl

Homework Statement

Write 2*EXP(i*pi/3) in the form [tex]\alpha[/tex] + i[tex]\beta[/tex]
Answer is given = 1 + sqt(3)i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm supposed to turn this exponential form of imaginary number into a standard form in order to solve an ODE.

I have no idea how they got 1+sqt(3)i from the exponential form of the complex number given. I mean, where did the exponential go?

There must be a simple way of converting, but I just can't seem to find it in the text or online. Please help!
And thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what Euler's equation is?

[tex]e^{i\theta}= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/tex].

[itex]z= re^{i\theta}= r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex].

And, if z= x+ iy, then \(\displaystyle r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}\) and \(\displaystyle tan(\theta)= \frac{y}{x}\) as long as x is not 0.

If you are working with "exponential form", I would be very surprised if you did not already know that.

Pengwuino said:
Do you know what Euler's equation is?

Firstly, thanks for your reply.
And yes... Eular's equation says...
e^(i*beta*t) = cos (beta*t) + i*sin (beta*t)
But I wasn't sure how to use this equation since t is missing in the question...

VeganGirl said:
But I wasn't sure how to use this equation since t is missing in the question...
Write down Euler’s Equation and replace all of the t’s with pi/3

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]e^{i\theta}= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/tex].

[itex]z= re^{i\theta}= r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex].

And, if z= x+ iy, then \(\displaystyle r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}\) and \(\displaystyle tan(\theta)= \frac{y}{x}\) as long as x is not 0.

If you are working with "exponential form", I would be very surprised if you did not already know that.

Thank you for your reply.
I'm not a math genius (as you could probably tell) and imaginary numbers, especially tend to throw me off.

But your equations help a lot.
Frankly, I've never seen this equation. z = re^(i*theta) = r (cos (theta) + i sin (theta).

Anyway, thanks again for your help :smile:

That’s the polar form of complex numbers, as hallsofivy said it would be very odd if they gave you exponential form but not polar.

JonF said:
Write down Euler’s Equation and replace all of the t’s with pi/3

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I'm doing another question like this and this one has a variable "t" in it.

Q) 2e^(i*[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]*t) => Write in Standard Form

Using Euler's Equation, I have

-> 2*(cos [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]*t + i sin [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] t)

How do I simplify this? Since the angle [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is not in the unit circle?

Standard form in your book is probably defined as z = x + yi.

Where x and y are reals.

So z = 2cos(2^1/2 * t) + 2sin(2^1/2 * t)*i would be standard form, but how you wrote it is typically accepted also.

VeganGirl said:
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I'm doing another question like this and this one has a variable "t" in it.

Q) 2e^(i*[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]*t) => Write in Standard Form

Using Euler's Equation, I have

-> 2*(cos [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]*t + i sin [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] t)

How do I simplify this? Since the angle [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is not in the unit circle?

Wait.. wait. Did you say the angle sqrt(2) is not in the unit circle? The unit circle has angles between 0 and 2 pi which is about 0 to 6.2. sqrt(2) is about 1.4.

JonF said:
Standard form in your book is probably defined as z = x + yi.

Where x and y are reals.

So z = 2cos(2^1/2 * t) + 2sin(2^1/2 * t)*i would be standard form, but how you wrote it is typically accepted also.
Don't even think that! A major reason for defining sine and cosine in terms of the "unit circle", rather than in terms of right triangles, is that we can keep going around the circle as many times as we want or we can go counter-clockwise rather than clockwise making the argument negative.

sin(x) and cos(x) are defined for all real numbers x (and can be extended to complex numbers).

For this particular problem, [itex]2(cos(t\sqrt{2})+ i sin(t\sqrt{2}))[/itex] is the "standard form". You don't need to simplify it.

Thanks everyone! You guys have been a great help! :smile:

What are imaginary numbers and why do they exist?

Imaginary numbers are a type of complex number that is expressed as a real number multiplied by "i", the imaginary unit. They exist because they are necessary in order to solve certain mathematical equations that cannot be solved using only real numbers.

How do you solve problems involving imaginary numbers?

To solve problems involving imaginary numbers, you can use the basic rules of arithmetic for complex numbers. For example, to multiply two imaginary numbers, you can multiply the real parts and the imaginary parts separately and then combine them.

What is the formula for converting an imaginary number into polar form?

The formula for converting an imaginary number into polar form is z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude of the number and θ is the angle it makes with the positive real axis.

What does the number 2*EXP(i*pi/3) represent?

The number 2*EXP(i*pi/3) represents a complex number in polar form, where the magnitude is 2 and the angle is π/3 radians (or 60 degrees) from the positive real axis.

How do you simplify the expression 2*EXP(i*pi/3) into a single complex number?

To simplify the expression 2*EXP(i*pi/3) into a single complex number, you can use the Euler's formula: EXP(iθ) = cosθ + isinθ. Plugging in π/3 for θ, we get 2*EXP(i*pi/3) = 2*(cos(π/3) + isin(π/3)) = 1 + √3i.