Imaginary part of the dielectric function

In summary, the conversation discusses the complex part of the dielectric function and how it can be understood through dispersion phenomena. The conversation also mentions using the Kramers-Kronig relation to obtain the imaginary part of the dielectric function and how it relates to absorption loss or gain. There is also a hint given to think physically and classically about bound electrons to model the dielectric function. The conversation ends with a mention of a rule of thumb and the suggestion to consider what is happening at a certain frequency in the plot.
John Greger
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about the complex part of the dielectric function. To my understanding there's good physical explanation of it. is a superimposed description of dispersion phenomena occurring at multiple frequencies.

Say I only have the real part such as the one below, and would like to get (approximately) the imaginary part. How could I obtain a plot of it, by just looking at the below figure? As using the Kramers-Kronig relation is rather tedious if you only want to get a sense of the behaviour.

I found the following statement: " the imaginary part leads to absorption loss if it is positive (in the above sign convention) and gain if it is negative." But I'm not sure how this would translate into a plot of the real part below?

Thanks in advance.
Skärmavbild 2019-03-18 kl. 20.41.39.png

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2019-03-18 kl. 20.41.39.png
    Skärmavbild 2019-03-18 kl. 20.41.39.png
    65 KB · Views: 1,086
Physics news on Phys.org
For a question marked "advanced" we require you to do a little more. Here is my hint: what would be a simple model of a (say) dielectric that could produce a real part that looks like this? There will be a few unknown parameters, but it should be pretty straightforward. Think physically (and classically) about bound electrons.

Jason

jasonRF said:
For a question marked "advanced" we require you to do a little more. Here is my hint: what would be a simple model of a (say) dielectric that could produce a real part that looks like this? There will be a few unknown parameters, but it should be pretty straightforward. Think physically (and classically) about bound electrons.

Jason
Sorry, this isn't a hard question, but usually not encountered in undergrad courses.

I'm very much aware that the imaginary part of dielectric function is associated with the dissipation and thus it is responsible for the absorption. If an incoming photon can couple a filled state to an empty state, there will be absorption. If their a lot of photons which can couple these two states, their will be a big peak in the imaginary part of the dielectric function, because there will be more absorption. From the bandstructure it is possible to get by looking at every k-value and see which photon energthereheir are. Then counting for every photon energy how many times a certain photon energy can be used to absorb a photon leads to. If the bands a parallel, there will be a big peak in the imaginary part of the dielectric function. With the Kramer-Kronig relation the real part of the dielectric function can be calculated.

However, I was looking for a rule of thumb.

The rule of thumb is "derived" by using simple models, and that was what I was leading you to figure out. Here is the approach: model a bound electron position as a classical, damped harmonic oscillator driven by the electric field. This should give you a polarization that can then be used to derive the dielectric function. Your plot has a clear resonance-type feature in the real part, as will the simple model. But the model also gives you the right idea about what to expect from the imaginary part. You may also be able to figure it out physically: what do you think is happening at about ##10^{13}## Hz in your plot?

jason

1. What is the imaginary part of the dielectric function?

The imaginary part of the dielectric function is a measure of the absorption of light or other electromagnetic radiation by a material. It represents the amount of energy that is lost by the material as it interacts with the radiation.

2. How is the imaginary part of the dielectric function related to the real part?

The imaginary part of the dielectric function is related to the real part through the Kramers-Kronig relations, which state that the real and imaginary parts are mathematically connected and cannot be considered independently. Changes in the real part of the dielectric function can affect the behavior of the imaginary part and vice versa.

3. What factors influence the value of the imaginary part of the dielectric function?

The value of the imaginary part of the dielectric function is influenced by a variety of factors, including the composition and structure of the material, the frequency of the incident radiation, and the temperature of the material. It can also be affected by external factors such as pressure or an applied electric field.

4. How is the imaginary part of the dielectric function measured?

The imaginary part of the dielectric function can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy or ellipsometry. These methods involve analyzing the interaction of light with the material and measuring the resulting changes in the intensity or polarization of the light.

5. What is the significance of the imaginary part of the dielectric function in materials science?

The imaginary part of the dielectric function is a crucial parameter in understanding the optical properties of materials. It provides information about the absorption and scattering of light, which is important in applications such as solar cells and optical devices. It also plays a role in determining the dielectric constant and refractive index of a material, which can impact its electronic and optical properties.