Imaginary Partition function

In summary: Passing a critical point in this equation does not change the sign of the imaginary part, only the magnitude.
santale
I have a partition function in euclidean quantum field theory. I have a parameter, let's say a charge, that I can change in the action that define the partition function.

I found that for small charge the partition function is positive, but there is a critical charge, above the one the partition function becomes negative.

Which is the meaning? Could this be interpreted as a phase transition?

General question: the partition function must be positive? which is the meaning of having an imaginary or negative partition function?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you get a minus sign, the partition function always has the action part exponentiated. Or are you asking something else?

1) My action has an imaginary current as interaction (due to Wick rotation in from the theory in Minkowski space).
2) From the symmetry if the action I know that the functional integral is positive so the partition function is well defined (it's like the integral of Exp(-x^2+ i x)
3) I want to extimate the partition function through the saddle point method. I find a critical point (that in my case is imaginary) and I expand the theory around it, calculating the second order variation.
4) For small charge, the second order variations are positive, but when I pass a critical charge I find two negative eigenvalues of the second order variation, that gives a factor minus 1 (the negativity of the partition function I refered).

The question is: what does imply the fact that in this case the fact I have a negative contribution? Phase transition? The critical point around the one I was expanding the theory is no more good for large charge?

Thanks

You can evaluate the integral in closed form here, it will not be negative. Saddle point method is approximate, also which charge are you talking about? Are you using a scalar field theory with Wick rotation and coupling as charge, then it does not have a critical point.

The action is Euclidean Yang Mills couled with an heavy static source (this is the imaginary current):
$$F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+i\delta_{\mu0}A_{\mu}$$

Solving the euclidean yang mills equation, I have an imaginary solution.

What is an imaginary partition function?

An imaginary partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy states in a system that cannot be directly observed. It is related to the partition function, which is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system.

How is an imaginary partition function calculated?

The imaginary partition function is calculated using the same formula as the partition function, which involves taking the sum of the Boltzmann factors of all possible energy states in a system. However, in the case of an imaginary partition function, the energy states are imaginary numbers, hence the name.

What is the significance of an imaginary partition function?

The imaginary partition function is useful in studying systems that exhibit quantum mechanical behavior, such as atoms and molecules. It allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of these systems and understand their behavior at the atomic level.

How does an imaginary partition function relate to statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses probability theory to study the behavior of complex systems. The imaginary partition function is an important tool in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of systems that cannot be directly observed.

What are the limitations of using an imaginary partition function?

One limitation of using an imaginary partition function is that it assumes that the energy states in a system are discrete and well-defined, which may not always be the case in real systems. Additionally, it may not be accurate for systems with highly correlated energy states, such as strongly interacting particles.