Imaginary Vectors: Find Resultant & Solution Explained

In summary, the problem involves two vectors that have a resultant of 20 when acting in the same direction and a resultant of 10 when acting perpendicular to each other. Setting up a system of equations, it is found that there is no real solution for the vectors, but there is an imaginary solution in the field of complex numbers. This is equivalent to constructing a right triangle with legs that sum up to twice the hypotenuse, which is impossible according to the CS inequality. Therefore, there is no solution for this problem.
susmit
hi
here's a questn:
"2 vectors acting in same direction have resultant 20 whereas in perpendicular direction resultant is 10. find the vectors."

pls. explain the imaginary solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up your system of equations.

[tex] |\vec{a}| \hat{u_{1}} + |\vec{b}| \hat{u_{1}} = 20\hat{u_{1}} [/tex]

[tex] |\vec{a}| \hat{u_{1}} + |\vec{b}| \hat{u_{2}} = 10 \hat{u_{3}} [/tex]

also

[tex] \hat{u_{3}} = \cos \theta \hat{u_{1}} + \sin \theta \hat{u_{2}} [/tex]

where [itex] \hat{u_{1}} [/itex], [itex] \hat{u_{2}} [/itex], [itex] \hat{u_{3}} [/itex] are unit vectors, and [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle between [itex] \hat{u_{1}} [/itex] and [itex] \hat{u_{3}} [/itex].

Last edited:
In your case, the two equations are
a+b=20
a^2+b^2=100.
This leads to a quadratic equation with (as you say) no real solution.
This means that you have described an impossible situation.

Meir Achuz said:
In your case, the two equations are
a+b=20
a^2+b^2=100.
This leads to a quadratic equation with (as you say) no real solution.
This means that you have described an impossible situation.

Not impossible, just imaginary. The solution lies in the field
of complex numbers i.e. complex vectors.

This equivalent to "construct a right triangle so that the sum of legs is twice that of the hypotenuse". This is equivalent to the equation a + b = 2c which would suggest that a^2 + b^2 =4c^2-2ab. The only way this can be consistent (given the pythagorean relation is if) c^2=4c^2 - 2ab or ab =3/2 c^2 which is a violation of the CS inequality, so there is no solution.

I didn't want to solve this kid's problem, Crosson but you forced me to.

[tex] \vec{v1} = \hat{x} [ \sqrt{50} (\sqrt{2} + i) ] [/tex]
[tex] \vec{v2} = \hat{a} [ \sqrt{50} (\sqrt{2} - i) ] [/tex]

[tex] \hat{a} = \hat{x} [/tex] in the parallel case and
[tex] \hat{a} = \hat{y} [/tex] in the perpendicular case.

Edit: The solution is not unique, I just picked one.

Last edited:

1. What is an imaginary vector?

An imaginary vector is a mathematical concept that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction. It is usually represented as a directed line segment with an arrow indicating the direction and a length representing the magnitude.

2. How is the resultant of imaginary vectors calculated?

The resultant of imaginary vectors is calculated by finding the vector sum of all the individual vectors. This can be done by adding the x-components and y-components of the vectors separately and then combining them to find the resultant vector.

3. Can imaginary vectors be used to represent real-life situations?

Yes, imaginary vectors can be used to represent real-life situations such as the motion of objects, forces acting on an object, and electrical circuits. They are a useful tool in physics and engineering for analyzing and solving problems.

4. How are imaginary vectors different from real vectors?

Imaginary vectors have both magnitude and direction, just like real vectors. However, imaginary vectors have a complex number or imaginary component, while real vectors only have real numbers. This means that imaginary vectors cannot be physically measured or observed, but they are still useful in mathematical calculations.

5. How can imaginary vectors be solved using trigonometry?

Imaginary vectors can be solved using trigonometry by breaking them down into their components and using the sine, cosine, and tangent ratios to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. This method is particularly useful when dealing with vectors at different angles.