Imaging Fomalhauts Debris Disk

In summary: It looks like the brightness of that spot is about 1.2 - 0.2, or 100001-100000 times brighter than the star itself.
Drakkith
Mentor
This is my first attempt at imaging a debris disk around a star. I chose Fomalhaut because, as far as I can tell, there are no other stars visible at this time of year in the northern hemisphere with their disk's as widely separated from them as Fomalhaut.

This task is rather difficult. Fomalhaut is VERY bright. Even with a 1 second exposure of ONLY the near-infrared range from 680-1000 nm, I was already maxing out my pixel values in the center of the airy disc. I stacked 1,000 one second exposures, for a total of about 16.6 minutes imaging time. Between imaging time, downloading time, and whatever else my camera does while taking pictures, it took me an hour just to get that 16.6 minutes of exposure time. I then took 600 one second exposures of Deneb, which was the only star I could find that was near the same spectra classification given my extremely limited resources at the time. (No internet, no decent program, and I only decided to give it a go after I had set up for some imaging and noticed Fomalhaut was up, so I hadn't planned ahead very well lol) I was pressed for time so I didn't get as many exposures of either star as I would have liked.

After stacking the images, I aligned and subtracted Deneb from Fomalhaut to get the image attached to this post. I don't know if I managed to get it or not, but it looks like it's possible. I might have caught a hint of the edge of it. The right side of the star where the red mark is at should be the inner edge of the disk. The angular distance in the image matches with the debris disk, and the orientation seems to match up as well. Well, as best as I can tell given that I don't know which direction is what in my image, only which axis goes in which direction. (The lessons you learn...)

So, it looks to me like it could be the disk, or it could be nothing at all lol. I'm going to try a few more things and get more imaging time in as soon as I can. I don't think 15 minutes is quite enough.

The 2nd image linked, the one from the HST, is from the PDF slideshow here: http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/ioa/meetings/discs06/proceedings/talks/kalas.pdf

Attachments

• Fomalhaut.jpg
    Fomalhaut.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 351
  • Fomalhaut-HST.jpg
    Fomalhaut-HST.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 427
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Any idea how much resolution you need to image the disc? Hubble's mirror is pretty big. Seeing is excellent too! How many arc seconds across is the disc? How many arc seconds of seeing at your location? What is the Dawes limit of your setup?

chemisttree said:
Any idea how much resolution you need to image the disc?

I'd guess around 1-2 arc seconds. The disk appears to be about 2 arcseconds thick. Honestly I think you could do it with worse, as the key lies in getting the light from the disk to show up instead of the light from the star. So with worse seeing the image is blurrier, but you have some room to play with.

Hubble's mirror is pretty big.

Yeah, it beats my little 8 inch (203 mm) scope I used for this.

Seeing is excellent too! How many arc seconds across is the disc?

The debris disk is about 2 arcseconds thick, and about 36 arcseconds across at its widest point.

How many arc seconds of seeing at your location? What is the Dawes limit of your setup?

Not sure. The FWHM of a perfect airy disk with my setup at 800 nm is about 6-7 microns, and the pixels on my camera are 7.4 microns across. I don't know what the seeing was like last night. I'm fairly sure I was able to get pretty good seeing since the wavelength was pretty long and the exposures were only 1 second.

Last edited:
Just to make sure you know what I'm saying here, the attached image has the part of the disk that MIGHT be visible circled in red. I really have no idea if I actually managed to remove the light from the star well enough to see part of it, or if it's just a side effect of the image subtraction and my imagination.

Attachments

• Fomalhaut2.jpg
    Fomalhaut2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 357
You could compare the brightness of that spot with the star itself, and look for some reference value of the ratio (depends on the resolution, of course, but it should be possible to get the order of magnitude). In addition, how does that area look in terms of raw (subtracted) numbers? More like 1.2 - 0.2, or more like 100001-100000?

1. What is the purpose of imaging Fomalhaut's debris disk?

The purpose of imaging Fomalhaut's debris disk is to study the structure and composition of the disk, which can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of planetary systems. By studying the debris disk, we can also learn more about the potential for habitable worlds around Fomalhaut.

2. How is the debris disk around Fomalhaut imaged?

The debris disk around Fomalhaut is imaged using various techniques, including direct imaging with large telescopes, infrared observations, and imaging with specialized instruments such as coronagraphs. These methods allow us to block out the bright light of the star and reveal the fainter light from the disk.

3. What is the significance of Fomalhaut's debris disk?

Fomalhaut's debris disk is significant because it is one of the best-studied debris disks and is the first to be directly imaged. The disk is also known to contain a large amount of dust and small rocky fragments, which could potentially be the building blocks of planets. This makes Fomalhaut a valuable laboratory for studying the early stages of planet formation.

4. What have we learned from imaging Fomalhaut's debris disk?

By imaging Fomalhaut's debris disk, we have learned that the disk is highly asymmetric, with a bright inner edge and a fainter outer edge. This suggests the presence of unseen planets or other objects within the disk. We have also been able to study the composition of the disk and have found evidence of water ice and organic molecules, which are essential building blocks for life.

5. What are the future plans for imaging Fomalhaut's debris disk?

Future plans for imaging Fomalhaut's debris disk include continued observations with advanced instruments and telescopes, such as the James Webb Space Telescope. These observations will allow us to study the disk in more detail and potentially discover more about the potential planets and other objects within the disk. There are also plans for further computer modeling and simulations to better understand the formation and evolution of the debris disk.