1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Immediate help needed (limits)

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1
    Immediate help needed (limits)!!

hi everyone....I need an answer for this limit question by friday(feb/04/2005)....ok the question is to find the limit as "x" approaches 1 for the equation...sqare root "x" subtract "x" sqared divide by 1 subtract sqare root "x".....sorry guys but i dont know how to use the codes yet...anyways....I used the calculator to find out that the limit is three but I am stuck in doing the algebra. I tried to rationalize both the denominator and the nemoritor and basically came up with (x-4)(1+sqaure root "x")/(1-x)(square root "x" +x^2)...I also multiplied them but couldnt cancel out anything....any help would be greatly appreaciated. :cool:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Substitute [tex]u = \sqrt{x}[/tex] and express everything in terms of u.

For the resulting expression, factorise the numerator completely. Cancel the common factor(s) between numerator and denominator and you get an expression in u that has an obvious limit as u tends to 1.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?