1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Immediate help rate of reaction

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    a 3.25g sample of NaHCO3 (sodium hydrogen carbonate) reacts completely with sulfuric acid (H2SO4) in a time of 20 seconds. express the average rate of reaction as

a) mass of H2SO4 consumed per second
    I don't know how to find the mass of the sulfuric acid, therefore im unable to figure out the rate of the reaction. my answer is in mg, im not sure what this means. I also have to find:

b) amount of sulfuric acid consumed per second

c) amount of CO2 produced per second

I already have the answers, just need help in figuring out how to approach the question. PLEASE HELP soon...TEST TOMOROW!!! thanx:cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't there a "saturation equation" (my expression) that would tell you exactly the amount of compond X that would completely react with compound Y?
  4. Oct 16, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the first thing to do ? Write the equation and balance it. That tells you the molar ratio of bicarbonate and sulfuric acid. From the molar ratio, you can find the mass ratio.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?