Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Immortality would you consider it?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
  2. No

7 vote(s)
  1. Oct 27, 2005 #1
    If there were a breakthrough in science that stopped aging like say a shot or a pill would you take it? If there was a vote to legalize it or ban it, what would you vote? Now remember you would still be able to die but not by old age. Also do you think there would be a great opposition to such a miracle drug/shot?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2
    There probably would be some opposition, unless people were to agree to slow down the rate of child production.

What if it got to an extreme? Let's say where humans were producing less than 1000 children per year? What would this do to our species in an evolutionary sense?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  4. Oct 27, 2005 #3

Gold Member

If we found a way, sure. But if there was no way to extend life beyond, say, 80, I'd be ok with dying around that time. Either way, really. :biggrin:
  5. Oct 27, 2005 #4
    Though it depends what you mean ---- I hope there's life after death, so in a sense I hope for immortality.

But not as a physical human. Too many limitations.
  6. Oct 27, 2005 #5
    I want to live forever muahahaaaaa
  7. Oct 27, 2005 #6
    Sure, why not. If you got tired of living you could always chop your head off, like in Highlander.

8. Oct 27, 2005 #7

Gold Member

I'm not too sure. If people live to say 180 on average before they get hit by a car or contract something deadly, what would their quality of life be like? People couldn't retire at 65 and live the next 100 and something years on a pension. What would working a job until 150 be like?
  9. Oct 27, 2005 #8
    Only If I got to wear a red cape, otherwise no!
  10. Oct 27, 2005 #9
    I'd rather be omnipresent. that would be way cooler to view something from every point surrounding it at once.
  11. Oct 27, 2005 #10
    My curiosity seriously takes over here....
  12. Oct 27, 2005 #11
    "I don't want to be immortal through my work. I want to be immortal through not dying." -- Woody Allen :rofl:
    I don't know whether or not I want to be immortal through not dying but I sure wouldn't say no to having some theorem/function/idea named after me, or to prove a $1000000 problem.
  13. Oct 27, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I said yes. I believe that there is an afterlife, but in terms of eternity, what's a few hundred years between friends? Sooner or later something will get you.
  14. Oct 27, 2005 #13

Gold Member

I'd take it in a jiffy as long as it didn't cause baldness.
  15. Oct 27, 2005 #14

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I couldn't have said it better
  16. Oct 27, 2005 #15
  17. Oct 27, 2005 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not done, and not science. The disclaimer on that page is pretty clear on that:
    Bold emphasis mine.

So...this fictional treatment would let me get old without aging, but I wouldn't really be immortal, because other things could kill me, just not that slow deterioration of aging? If it turned out to be a horrid mistake, I could still jump in front of a bus and die? That sounds like a no-lose situation. I don't really want to be immortal, but I don't think anyone looks forward to feeling weak and tired as they age.
  18. Oct 27, 2005 #17

Depending on the side effects (they'd have to be like frequent seizures or spontaneous combustion to keep me away!), and if it were tested thouroughly, I would kill for it. Hell, I'd kill upwards of 20 people for it.
  19. Oct 28, 2005 #18
    Being the only one in the world that was immortal would be a drag. If everyone was immortal it would be a nightmare. What's wrong with being satisfied with the time we have? Maybe we can even enjoy some of it. I voted no.
  20. Oct 28, 2005 #19

What's wrong with being satisfied with only the most? If I could live forever I would be extra EXTRA careful about how safe I am, because a truck would still be fatal. I would get to work right away on painting, drawing, piano, guitar and drums. I would go see more of the world than I haven't already. Go to college when I get around to it, go skydiving, bullriding, programming, architecture... I would DEFINITELY go into theoretical physics and philosophy. I got longer to think about things than most people. My stress level would hit zero, what do I have to worry about (except trucks and falling anvils)? I wouldn't be worried about my heath so much i.e. eat McDonald's everyday. But not that, whatever I wanted. Hey, if I have a heartattack, it will be unpleasant but I won't die! Wouldn't worry much about social consequences, there will always be more friends along the way.

Really indulge, oh yes indulge. Maybe take up hacking or being a professional thief? Eh? Of course only do that to the government, they won't kill you. If I go to jail, I haven't lost 20 years of my life! Well yes I have, but not like its a large fraction. In jail I'd do a lot of reading, a lot of scheming, a lot of exercising. After I get out, I'll take it easy for 50 years, then I'll go back to doing fun things :devil:

Would I go insane ever? From what? I would love to see all the great accomplishments of people over the next few hundreds of years. I'd stay out of anything dangerous such as a war, because I don't want to die!

I wouldn't care what people think of me because after they forget me or die, they're gone!

Ha ha! Foolish mortals! Suckers!

Oh yes I'd probably have lots and lots of sex. Don't worry about STDs or AIDS or anything! I'm immortal! I assume this comes with a get well from any disease feature. Hey, if it doesn't there will be a cure for AIDs soon enough!
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  21. Oct 28, 2005 #20
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: No worry, pal....at least you have a lot of time to find out the cure for baldness :smile:

but yes, i will so that i could do things more and discover more. but nevertheless i would still like to die and rest afterwards...and to me that's more immortal than staying alive forever. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?