Product Engineering: Imp. Drvr Ideas for Next Semester

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, the conversation discusses a class called Product Engineering and Manufacturing where students will work with Dewalt tools. They will have access to a rapid prototyping machine and will sign a NDA with Dewalt. The students will have to bench test and compare the impact driver to other brands, as well as complete tasks such as cost analysis and statistical analysis. The previous semester, students worked on tasks such as redesigning the case and adding a battery meter indicator. Suggestions for this semester include increasing power and trying different types of batteries. It is suggested to communicate with repair places and engineers at Dewalt for ideas.
Cyrus
Next semester I am taking a class called Product Engineering and Manufacturing. It's a one semester course where we work with Dewalt tools. Luckily, we have the same tool as last semester, a cordless impact driver. We have to go through the process of finding something to fix on the impact driver, and actually make the improvement on the tool. We will have access to a rapid prototyping machine to make parts. We will sign a NDA with Dewalt at the start of the class, so I don't know how much specific details I will and will not be able to share once the class starts.

So basically, I'm looking for any ideas anyone has. We will have to bench test the impact driver and compare it to leading brands. Then there is a whole bunch of other crap we got to do as well. Some stuff like cost analysis, statistical analysis, bla bla bla.

Here is a picture of the impact driver.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/dewalt/dw054k-2.jpg [Broken]

This is what people did last semester:

• redesign the case (got it to work)
  • change the cooling fan geometry (did not work)
  • tried to reduce vibration (could not get it to work)
  • added a battery meter indicator (I think it worked, not sure)

So, any idearzzz? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit: Obviously, Dewalt they will give us impact drivers to modify. At the final presentation, Dewalt will come in an evaluate/grade our project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
tim tayor [tool time] mode MORE POWER
BIGGER OR MORE OR DIFFERENT TYPE OF BATTERYS
rewind the motor for MORE POWER
nitro hemi option??

Hi Cyrus, In the past few years, I've been responsible for developing a project like this for students twice. But both times I gave them a project as opposed to asking the students what they wanted to do. What's with that? Do you have an engineer at DeWalt you'll be working with that will be guiding this project? If so, he should tell you or give you a number of ideas to select from.

Some of the engineers I've known that set up these projects don't get involved too deeply in the project because they simply don't have the time. But that's typical of every day life in industry. When you need information you may need to pester your contact a few times a week. Don't be shy! Engineers in industry often forget how quickly a semester goes past (I did). Lesson to learn: Find out who you need to talk to and work on the communication.

If your contact at DeWalt isn't helpful enough, perhaps you could get warrenty and repair information and find out what's the most costly warrenty repair they have to do. Let's say the switch fails (my DeWalt screwdriver had this problem). DeWalt should be able to tell you the most likely failure, how much it cost to repair, and how many times they have to make that repair. Once you sign the non-disclosure agreement, they should be free to give you that information. Also, this is great information for all those less than enjoyable tasks like a cost analysis! Note that if you're sticking to mechanical issues, then just select from the most expensive mechanical repairs.

If they can't tell you what needs attention, try going directly to a repair place. The repair tech's there should be able to give you plenty of ideas from their own experience. Never underestimate the value of these guys, they're the ones that see all the crap first hand. Go to their http://www.dewalt.com/us/service/" [Broken]and find a service location near you and ask them for suggestions.

ray b said:
tim tayor [tool time] mode MORE POWER
BIGGER OR MORE OR DIFFERENT TYPE OF BATTERYS
rewind the motor for MORE POWER
nitro hemi option??

:rofl: Classicccccccccc.

HOOOO HOOO HOOOO.

Q_Goest said:
Hi Cyrus, In the past few years, I've been responsible for developing a project like this for students twice. But both times I gave them a project as opposed to asking the students what they wanted to do. What's with that? Do you have an engineer at DeWalt you'll be working with that will be guiding this project? If so, he should tell you or give you a number of ideas to select from.

Some of the engineers I've known that set up these projects don't get involved too deeply in the project because they simply don't have the time. But that's typical of every day life in industry. When you need information you may need to pester your contact a few times a week. Don't be shy! Engineers in industry often forget how quickly a semester goes past (I did). Lesson to learn: Find out who you need to talk to and work on the communication.

If your contact at DeWalt isn't helpful enough, perhaps you could get warrenty and repair information and find out what's the most costly warrenty repair they have to do. Let's say the switch fails (my DeWalt screwdriver had this problem). DeWalt should be able to tell you the most likely failure, how much it cost to repair, and how many times they have to make that repair. Once you sign the non-disclosure agreement, they should be free to give you that information. Also, this is great information for all those less than enjoyable tasks like a cost analysis! Note that if you're sticking to mechanical issues, then just select from the most expensive mechanical repairs.

If they can't tell you what needs attention, try going directly to a repair place. The repair tech's there should be able to give you plenty of ideas from their own experience. Never underestimate the value of these guys, they're the ones that see all the crap first hand. Go to their http://www.dewalt.com/us/service/" [Broken]and find a service location near you and ask them for suggestions.

As far as I am aware, it is up to us to figure something out. I think they will come in and give us a talk about the product. As for finding what to fix, my friend said they did a 'house tree?', where they evaluated all the pros and cons of their ideas to see which one is the 'best' thing to fix. I'm guessing well have to do something along those lines.

This class is going to be a pain in the butt. Lot's of work.

Edit: Oh, and it does not have to be mechanical. It can be ANYTHING on the drill. You can add an op-amp circuit if you want to for all I care.

I would redesign it in five fashion colors. And the case could be prettier.:cool:

I have no idea whether or not there's already one in that kit, but I always like an ambidextrous side-handle on high-torque or heavy tools. Also, how about an on-board torque meter and/or programmable clutch?

A torque meter sounds like a good idea. A clutch would be too much work, I think.

Edit: Actually, I am not sure why you would need a clutch?

Last edited:
By clutch, I just meant the sort of device as on an electric screwdriver to decouple the chuck when the required torque is reached.

Im going to bump this thread, any more ideas?

I have good hand strength (guitarist), but short fingers, so high-torque tools can sometimes break out of my grip. I would suggest not only an ambidextrous side handle (if there is not one already) AND two grip inserts - one for people with large hands and one that effectively reduces the size of the grip so that people with smaller hands can get a better finger-wrap on the grip. The ambidextrous side handle should mount instantly so lefties and righties can use the same tool in a production environment. I suggest a button on the end of the handle that engages/disengages a ball-bearing lock similar to those found on two-part keychains. How's that?

On the idea of a clutch, well, there's a very simple (and elegant) way to do this for an impact driver which may not at first seem obvious.

Since it's an impact driver, (ie not a drill), having a torsionally flexible bar between the drive and the socket (as an adapter) will allow the desired torque to be limited with no need for any mechanisms whatsoever. The torque is simply limited by the torsional strength of the socket adapter. Once the torque is reacher, the impact driver will keep hammering away at the adapter, which will keep flexing, preventing the socket from overtightening the bolt.

How about you design a set of socket adapters of different torsional strengths, based around the most common torque settings you're likely to require (cylinder head bolts, wheelnuts, rocker shafts etc).

Oh, and if you've ever used an impact wrench, you'll know that they're not high-torque devices (like, say, a drill), in terms of grip strength required to hold them. The inertia of the heavy handle is sufficient to dampen out the 'pounding' action of the driver so that you really don't need to 'lean on' the wrench very tightly at all.

My ideas:
- A battery meter which actually works
- Poke yoke to ensure that only impact sockets can be fitted (rather than normal square drive hand sockets). It'd be extremely interesting to get this to work whilst still being able to use standard impact sockets!
- 240V/110V AC power adapter which fits into the battery slot, to allow corded use

Last edited:
Just something I thought of, Is there any way you can make it so it has like 2 speeds. We have a drill that is like this, one is slower for like screwing, and the other is for drilling with high speed bits. Why I think this would work well, is that there are many times that you need a bit more "torque/ummpphh)"...to get a rusty nut loose or to put a final torque on a nut.

Bradracer18 said:
Just something I thought of, Is there any way you can make it so it has like 2 speeds. We have a drill that is like this, one is slower for like screwing, and the other is for drilling with high speed bits.

Why I think this would work well, is that there are many times that you need a bit more "torque/ummpphh)"...to get a rusty nut loose or to put a final torque on a nut.

That's the whole point of an impact driver in the first place. Note that the OP wasn't asking about a cordless drill, it's an impact driver.

Another idea: Make the maximum "clockwise" torque less than the maximum "anticlockwise" torque. That way, you'll always be able to undo fasteners again.

I understand what a drill and an impact are. I am a student now, but have worked carpentry and on the farm, many years.

What I was getting at, was the impacts(cordless...not like air), do not have enough power in most cases. BUT, also in most cases they do...so it would be nice to be able to switch down a gear(like on a drill...).

I do like your idea though brewnog.

Another idea, i just thought of...relating back to the drills again. We have a ridgid drill(cordless 18v)...and when the battery goes dead, it just stops. Until that point, it pretty much runs at full charge(18v). Most other drills/impacts kinda "run down" before the battery dies. I like the idea of being able to use all of the battery possible...comes in handy, when you can't charge your battery...and need the driver.

Last edited:
Just thought of something else, which I would have found immensely useful on a variety of tools in the past... a built-in work light (switchable, to conserve battery power).

Nice Idea Danger.

Ooh I like the worklight idea.

I guess a led light would work
as impacts will kill a bulb quickly

More ideas?

Blood and sand cyrus, you want the moon on a stick!

A pink one for girls?

No, I want the moon on my impact driver. (or attached as an accessory.)

I'm not sure if they have this now...once again, relating back to our drills...but do they have a "quick charger"...ours will charge the 18v drill battery in about 20-30 min...which is nice, when you don't have many batteries.

Thats a good Idea, I don't know the answer to that one.

It's a Dewalt; it'll be a standard battery fitting, so yes, a quick charger is available.

I've never used a cordless driver. Mine is corded, made of steel, and weighs a good 10 lbs.. What with my arthritis and all, I wouldn't mind having a shock-absorbtive grip cover for it. Maybe plastic ones don't transmit as much vibration, though.

Most impact drivers are powered by compressed air, and are generally very robust and sturdy. I wonder if DeWalt would be up for giving you some hint as to repair/failure frequency? I doubt it, but they might tell you how it compares with a similar air tool.

more ideas :devil:

If we give you any more ideas, you'll just go open your own tool factory and we'll never see you again. :tongue:

But, you would get free tools.

cyrusabdollahi said:
more ideas :devil:
One more idea. Instead of one switch for direction of rotation and a separate trigger, install a rocker trigger with two curved recesses for the index finger. Upper recess tightens, lower one loosens (my preference). If they make pre-production samples, send me one. Make sure the trigger recesses are large enough to be felt easily, and groove one of them so that they can be discerned by feel. Are you feeling rich yet?

cyrusabdollahi said:
But, you would get free tools.

Okay then... I'm in. :biggrin:

Good idea about the recesses, Turbo. I had one of those useless little B & D cordless drill/drivers, and my finger kept slipping from one end of the rocker to the other. Very irritating.
I might suggest further that the switch be long enough to be used easily with heavy gloves on. That was impossible with the B & D thing.

Danger said:
Okay then... I'm in. :biggrin:

Good idea about the recesses, Turbo. I had one of those useless little B & D cordless drill/drivers, and my finger kept slipping from one end of the rocker to the other. Very irritating.
I might suggest further that the switch be long enough to be used easily with heavy gloves on. That was impossible with the B & D thing.
The grooves in one recess would be useful for a rocker trigger that is relatively small and actuated by moving your index finder up and down a bit. A larger rocker trigger could be big enough to accommodate gloved fingers and the tighten-loosen selection could be made by squeezing with either the index finder or the middle finger. Cyrus, I want modest royalties, or at least some free tools. :biggrin:

Last edited:
These are good ideas, but I don't know if I will be able to do them! It would mean making a model of the drill in Pro-E, and that's NOOOO EASY task. I would have to redesign the entire plastic housing...yikes. The problem is DeWalt uses another program, NOT pro-E. So I can't use their models in pro-E to make modifications.

cyrusabdollahi said:
These are good ideas, but I don't know if I will be able to do them! It would mean making a model of the drill in Pro-E, and that's NOOOO EASY task. I would have to redesign the entire plastic housing...yikes. The problem is DeWalt uses another program, NOT pro-E. So I can't use their models in pro-E to make modifications.
Wahh! These ideas are too hard for me! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Do you want to make a fortune or merely coast through your courses and earn a grade?