How Can You Calculate the Impact Force of a Falling Egg?

In summary, Engineering calculators for stopping time or distance rely on input. Knowing these quantities makes the problem easier, but estimating or calculating them for a free-falling egg hitting concrete requires some assumptions. It is possible to do so theoretically without using video or force sensors. To solve the problem, one would need to consider the mass, height, and acceleration of the egg at the time of impact. Using the equation for impact force, the force of the egg hitting the ground can be calculated.
houlahound
I searched engineering calculators and they rely on the input you know the stopping time or the stopping distance - easy for a car but not an egg.

Knowing either of these quantities makes the problem trivial, but how to estimate or calculate them??

What is the best assumption for either and how is the assumption justified for a free falling egg hitting concrete.

I would like to do it theoretically and not use video or force sensors.

Is this possible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
I searched engineering calculators ...
If you can't solve a problem without a calculator you should not expect to be able to solve it WITH a calculator.

Actually I just looked at how the calculator solved the problem ie what equations. I get the physics given impact time or distance - I have no idea how to get values for time or distance of stopping apart from measurement.

If you can point me in right direction be appreciated.

houlahound said:
Actually
Is that single word response supposed to mean something?

I have to post a random string then use the edit box to make the text not gibberish...tedious.

houlahound said:
I have to post a random string then use the edit box to make the text not gibberish...tedious.
That seems odd. How can you be able to post a string of gibberish but not instead post a real response?

Don't know...but back to the question.

you have to make some effort yourself...
list the things you know about the egg and its fall
then you can figure out how to find the force that the egg hits the ground with

Because a car a crushing distance is easy to estimate eg the crumple distance. Usually qouted around 0.5m.

An egg??

houlahound said:
Because a car a crushing distance is easy to estimate eg the crumple distance. Usually qouted around 0.5m.

An egg??

forget about the crumple distance at this stage ... let's initially treat it as a solid object

again ...

davenn said:
list the things you know about the egg and its fall
Dave

Lands at speed root(2gh)
Above some height h egg cracks on impact.
No observable deformation, just catastrophic fracture.

Nothing else I can think of.

houlahound said:
Nothing else I can think of.

you haven't stated any of the things that need to be considered to work out the force of the impact

here's some hints
mass of the egg,
height dropped from
acceleration rate at the time of impact

what is the formula for working out force of a falling object "in" gravity ?Dave

Last edited:
All I got from that is;

F=mass of egg x acceleration = mass of egg x velocity / time

Initial acceleration = g

velocity initial = root(2gh)

velocity final = 0

time from when egg hits ground until it stops moving ie collision duration I don't know and what needs to be known to work out impact force.

try this ...

Impact Force from a Falling Object
The dynamic energy in a falling object at the impact moment when hitting the ground can be calculated as

E = Fw h
= m g h (4)

where

Fw = force due to gravity - weight (N, lbf)

g = acceleration of gravity (9.81 m/s2, 32.17405 ft/s2)

h = falling height (m)

The equation can be combined with the equation of work to:

F = m g h / s

now using that work out the force

1. What factors affect the impact force on a falling egg?

The impact force on a falling egg is affected by a variety of factors, such as the height from which the egg is dropped, the surface onto which it falls, the mass of the egg, and the angle at which it hits the surface.

2. How does the height from which an egg is dropped affect the impact force?

The higher the height from which an egg is dropped, the greater the impact force will be. This is because as the egg falls, it gains more kinetic energy, which is then converted into impact force upon hitting the surface.

3. What type of surface would cause the least impact force on a falling egg?

A soft and cushioned surface, such as a pillow or foam, would cause the least impact force on a falling egg. This is because a soft surface can absorb more of the energy from the impact, reducing the force acting on the egg.

4. How does the mass of an egg affect the impact force?

The greater the mass of an egg, the greater the impact force will be. This is because a heavier egg has more inertia, meaning it requires more force to stop its motion upon impact.

5. What is the best angle for an egg to hit the surface to minimize the impact force?

The best angle for an egg to hit the surface to minimize the impact force is perpendicular, or at a 90 degree angle. This allows the egg to distribute its kinetic energy evenly upon impact, reducing the force acting on a single point.