What was the impact force of the car that hit me while riding my bike in 1989?

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance from the physics forum regarding an accident they were involved in where a police officer struck them with their car. They are experiencing mental health issues due to the incident and are confused about the physics behind an advertisement claiming a car can hit someone at 40km/h without causing serious injuries. They are asking for help in understanding the forces involved in the accident and how to calculate the initial force. However, the forum is unable to provide assistance and suggests seeking help from a professional consultant.
run over by cop
Hello physics forum, thanks for the welcome.
I was knocked off my push bike in 1989.
The police officer who was driving a toyota corolla that weighs 880kg. He claims to have struck me on the right side of my body at 40 km.
Doctors say that not possible as 95% of injuries were on the left. 2 compound fractures to my left femur and the left knee has not bent since that day nor will it ever again. I have read it can take nearly two tonne of force to shatter a femur bone. I am trying to get resolution as the mental illness this has caused is getting worse and worse.
We have a add over here in Australia that claims a1560 kg car can hit you at 40km and you will get up with only a slight bruised knee. The car does see you and proceeds to to apply the brake and slide into you.

This has been confusing the hell out of me since 1991 when the ad first appeared.I have tried the method but do not understand the result as it seems too low.

Can you please please help me and show me how to put in the right details to do the sum to get the initial force.
Police will not help as it was one of their own and TAC who released the add in 1991 stopped helping when they found out it was a victorian police officer who did this.to me.
I did complain about the add stating that vic police claim 40km can cause such extensive injuries, I have not seen the add now for quiet some time now, although it is still available on youtube.

I remember the cars in front of him, he was 4th in the line were going so fast the wind was nearly blowing me off my bike. Oh I was stationed in the gutter, 1 foot on my left pedal and the other foot planted firmly on the footpath, I was also riding into the traffic.

Even if I can not take this to court the correct answer will hopefully help the mental health problems. I was raised to respect authority although it has been extremely hard since the driver has been allowed to hide behind his badge.
Any help would be so appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
run over by cop said:
Hello physics forum, thanks for the welcome.
I was knocked off my push bike in 1989.
The police officer who was driving a toyota corolla that weighs 880kg. He claims to have struck me on the right side of my body at 40 km.
Doctors say that not possible as 95% of injuries were on the left. 2 compound fractures to my left femur and the left knee has not bent since that day nor will it ever again. I have read it can take nearly two tonne of force to shatter a femur bone. I am trying to get resolution as the mental illness this has caused is getting worse and worse.
We have a add over here in Australia that claims a1560 kg car can hit you at 40km and you will get up with only a slight bruised knee. The car does see you and proceeds to to apply the brake and slide into you.

This has been confusing the hell out of me since 1991 when the ad first appeared.I have tried the method but do not understand the result as it seems too low.

Can you please please help me and show me how to put in the right details to do the sum to get the initial force.
Police will not help as it was one of their own and TAC who released the add in 1991 stopped helping when they found out it was a victorian police officer who did this.to me.
I did complain about the add stating that vic police claim 40km can cause such extensive injuries, I have not seen the add now for quiet some time now, although it is still available on youtube.

I remember the cars in front of him, he was 4th in the line were going so fast the wind was nearly blowing me off my bike. Oh I was stationed in the gutter, 1 foot on my left pedal and the other foot planted firmly on the footpath, I was also riding into the traffic.

Even if I can not take this to court the correct answer will hopefully help the mental health problems. I was raised to respect authority although it has been extremely hard since the driver has been allowed to hide behind his badge.
Any help would be so appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Welcome to the PF.

Unfortunately, we can be of no help in accident reconstruction/analysis requests like this. You need to seek the help of a professional consultant for this. Thread is closed.

1. What is impact force?

Impact force is the amount of force exerted on an object when it collides with another object. It is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How is impact force calculated?

Impact force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration, which is determined by the change in velocity divided by the change in time. The formula for impact force is F = m x a.

3. Can the impact force of a car hitting a bike rider be accurately determined?

Yes, the impact force can be accurately determined by analyzing the speed and weight of the car, as well as the speed and weight of the bike rider. Other factors such as the angle of impact and the type of surface can also affect the impact force.

4. What was the impact force of the car that hit me while riding my bike in 1989?

Without knowing the specific details of the accident, it is impossible to determine the exact impact force. However, it is likely that the impact force was significant and caused injuries to the bike rider.

5. How can impact forces be reduced in accidents involving cars and bicycles?

There are several ways to reduce impact forces in car and bicycle accidents, such as wearing protective gear, following traffic laws and signals, and using designated bike lanes. Additionally, drivers can also help reduce impact forces by being aware of their surroundings and giving cyclists enough space on the road.