What is the role of Poisson's ratio in determining stress and stiffness?

In summary, Poisson's ratio is used in determining stress by considering the relationship between stress and strain. When an object is stretched in one direction, it shrinks in the two perpendicular directions, known as the Poisson's ratio effect. This concept is important for implementing the material point method in benchmark problems. The stiffness matrix is a crucial component in obtaining accurate results for plane stress and plane strain, which have different stress strain formulas.
Mrx1
Hello
Can someone please tell me what is the use of poisson's ration in determinig stress cos what I know in this case we should have stress=E*strain and so now use for poison

Attachments

• forum.PNG
    forum.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 153
  • disks.PNG
    disks.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 159
Physics news on Phys.org
when stretching sth, it's elongated in the stretch direction and shrunk in the 2 orthogonal directions. the poisson's ratio effect is just the shrinking in the 2 orthogonal directions.

Thank you so much for your answer I'm a student and trying to implement the material point method so I have the following problem as a benchmark
Did I get the stiffness matrix right? Cos that's the only thing I can think of for getting the same results

Attachments

• forum.PNG
    forum.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 130
  • disks.PNG
    disks.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 136
  • stifness matrix.PNG
    stifness matrix.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 130
no worries. for plane stress and plane strain, the stress strain formulae are different

Does that mean I got that stiffness matrix right?

1. What is the concept of impact between two elastic bodies?

The impact between two elastic bodies refers to the collision or contact between two objects that are able to deform and return to their original shape after the collision. This is known as an elastic collision, where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved.

2. How is the impact between two elastic bodies calculated?

The impact between two elastic bodies can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. The initial and final velocities of the bodies, as well as their masses and elasticity, are taken into account to determine the outcome of the impact.

3. What factors affect the impact between two elastic bodies?

The impact between two elastic bodies can be affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the bodies, the angle of impact, and the elasticity of the bodies. Friction and external forces may also play a role in the outcome of the impact.

4. How does the elasticity of the bodies affect the impact?

The elasticity of the bodies is a crucial factor in determining the impact between two elastic bodies. A higher elasticity means that the bodies are able to deform more and store more energy during the collision, resulting in a more elastic collision and a higher rebound velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the impact between two elastic bodies?

The study of impact between two elastic bodies has many real-world applications, such as in sports, car crashes, and engineering design. Understanding the behavior of elastic collisions can help improve safety measures and design more efficient and durable structures and products.