Impact of two elastic bodies

In summary, Poisson's ratio is used in determining stress by considering the relationship between stress and strain. When an object is stretched in one direction, it shrinks in the two perpendicular directions, known as the Poisson's ratio effect. This concept is important for implementing the material point method in benchmark problems. The stiffness matrix is a crucial component in obtaining accurate results for plane stress and plane strain, which have different stress strain formulas.
Hello
Can someone please tell me what is the use of poisson's ration in determinig stress cos what I know in this case we should have stress=E*strain and so now use for poison

Attachments

• forum.PNG
    forum.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 146
  • disks.PNG
    disks.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 152
Physics news on Phys.org
when stretching sth, it's elongated in the stretch direction and shrunk in the 2 orthogonal directions. the poisson's ratio effect is just the shrinking in the 2 orthogonal directions.

Thank you so much for your answer I'm a student and trying to implement the material point method so I have the following problem as a benchmark
Did I get the stiffness matrix right? Cos that's the only thing I can think of for getting the same results

Attachments

• forum.PNG
    forum.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 123
  • disks.PNG
    disks.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 129
  • stifness matrix.PNG
    stifness matrix.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 124
no worries. for plane stress and plane strain, the stress strain formulae are different

Does that mean I got that stiffness matrix right?

Suggested for: Impact of two elastic bodies

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies