Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impact problem

1. Jul 18, 2003 #1
    Hi good people,

I have some problem with determining impact force acting on rubber-like elastic material (conveyor belt).
    The problem is:
    The object of mass M is released from the height H on conveyor belt which is clamped at the both ends and subjected to an uniaxial tensile force T. I would like to determine the maximum impact force (not impact energy) acting to the belt conveyor during the impact test if I know the acceleration-time curve. The acceleration changes during impact in a very small time interval. Can I use the formula IMPACT FORCE = MASS(it is constant) x CHANGE IN ACCELERATION ? CHANGE IN ACCELERATION (DECCELERATION respectively) is as follows: Acceleration before impact (9.81 m/sec^2) - Acceleration if object of mass M is in the lowest position.
    And how can I calculate the maximum displacement of the object if given are Poisson's ratio and Modulus of elasticity of conveyor belt. Can anyone give answer for this problem.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted