Izod Impact Scale Test: Determining High/Low Strength Values in Joules

In summary, the speaker is unsure of how to determine the relative scale for impact strength of various materials. They have already determined the impact strength for each material, but are unsure of what a high value would be on the izod impact scale test, which is measured in joules. They have tried using Google, but have not been able to find information on the relative scale.
benndamann33
I'm supposed to determine if a bunch of materials have a high or low impact strength. I did the hard part and determined that the impact strength for each material, but I don't know a relative scale. What is a high value on the izod impact scale test(it's measured in joules). Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
benndamann33 said:
I'm supposed to determine if a bunch of materials have a high or low impact strength. I did the hard part and determined that the impact strength for each material, but I don't know a relative scale. What is a high value on the izod impact scale test(it's measured in joules). Any idea?

This answer may seem useless, but I think it's the best one you'll get here - try to use google. :wink:

i've used plenty of google, the relative scale is not typically mentioned

1. What is the purpose of the Izod Impact Scale Test?

The Izod Impact Scale Test is used to determine the impact strength of a material by measuring the amount of energy needed to break a standardized specimen under specific conditions.

2. How is the Izod Impact Scale Test performed?

The test involves placing a notched specimen of the material in a holder and striking it with a pendulum. The energy absorbed by the specimen and the resulting fracture are measured and used to calculate the impact strength in joules.

3. What factors can affect the results of the Izod Impact Scale Test?

The results of the test can be affected by various factors such as the temperature of the specimen, the notch geometry, and the speed and angle of the pendulum strike. The type and condition of the testing equipment can also have an impact on the results.

4. What materials are commonly tested using the Izod Impact Scale Test?

The Izod Impact Scale Test is commonly used to test the impact strength of plastics, composites, and other materials that are prone to impact or shock loading. It is also often used to compare the impact resistance of different materials.

5. What are the advantages of using the Izod Impact Scale Test?

The Izod Impact Scale Test is a relatively simple and cost-effective method for determining the impact strength of a material. It can also provide valuable information about a material's toughness and ability to withstand sudden impacts, making it useful for product design and quality control purposes.