How can I calculate the stress on a bracket during impact with a moving cart?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of stress in a right angled bracket that will be used as a mechanical stop for a moving cart. The load is not static, making it more difficult to determine the bending stress. Castigliano's method for strain energy is suggested as a possible approach. The link to a simple approach for calculating impact mechanics is also provided.
1988ajk
Hi all,

I am trying to calculate a value for stress in a right angled bracket. this would be simple for me if the load was a static load, it would cause the bracket to bend around a point etc so i can get moments to find its bending stress.

however this bracket will be stopping a moving cart, to act as a mechanical stop.

The cart travels towards the bracket, it has a mass and an acceleration. on impact, how can the stress in the bracket be derived.

on first thoughts, i would try Castigliano's method for strain energy. Am i right in thinking this?

any pointers on what methods to look into would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of impact stress on bracket?

Impact stress on bracket refers to the force exerted on a bracket when it is struck by an external object or force. This stress can cause deformation or damage to the bracket, which can affect its functionality and structural integrity.

2. How is impact stress measured on brackets?

Impact stress on brackets is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m2). This measurement helps determine the amount of force the bracket can withstand before experiencing deformation or failure.

3. What factors affect the impact stress on brackets?

The impact stress on brackets can be affected by various factors, including the material and design of the bracket, the magnitude and direction of the impact force, and the environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity). Other factors such as the speed of impact and the presence of any pre-existing damage can also influence the impact stress on brackets.

4. How can impact stress on brackets be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce the impact stress on brackets. One approach is to use a stronger and more durable material for the bracket, such as a high-strength steel or composite material. Another method is to improve the design of the bracket to distribute the impact force more evenly. Additionally, adding a protective layer or coating to the bracket can help absorb some of the impact energy and reduce the stress on the bracket.

5. Can impact stress on brackets cause failure?

Yes, if the impact stress on a bracket exceeds its maximum capacity, it can lead to failure or breakage of the bracket. This can occur even with small amounts of impact stress, especially if the bracket is already weakened or damaged. Therefore, it is important to consider the potential impact stress on brackets when designing or using them in various applications.