Impedance: The Key to Understanding MOS Transistors?

In summary, the lecturer mentioned that in AC circuits, impedance plays a similar role to resistance in keeping the current low and flat. This is because impedance combines the effects of resistance and reactance from components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The conversation was cut short due to a fire alarm, but the discussion on impedance seemed complicated for the speaker.
OnceMore
Hello.

In a class today, the lecturer said, in an introduction to the material that will be covered, something along the lines of "..and the current is kept relatively flat (low?) thanks to impedance ..."

Is this because impedance acts like resistance (but in AC circuits), or would there be another reason?

I was going to ask after the class, but the fire alarm went off, and we all hightailed it out of there.

I only ask because, for some reason, impedance always seems a bit complicated to me ...more complicated than it needs to be I am sure.

-S

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I love it...'the fire alarm went off'
You are on the right track... Resistors have resistance, capacitors and inductors have 'Reactance'...a different name is needed because volts and amps are 90 degrees out of phase for these components so volts/amps has a subtly different meaning but can still be called 'ohms'
Impedance is the name given to the combined resistance and reactance in a circuit.
You are in for some fun by the sound of it...you will look forward to the fire alarm going off again!

1. What is impedance?

Impedance refers to the opposition or resistance to the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is measured in ohms and can be influenced by factors such as the type of material used in the circuit, its length, and its temperature.

2. How is impedance related to MOS transistors?

MOS (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) transistors are electronic devices that can control the flow of electric current. The impedance of a MOS transistor is determined by its gate voltage and the properties of the materials used in its construction. By changing the gate voltage, the impedance of the MOS transistor can be altered, thus controlling the flow of current through the circuit.

3. What are the different types of MOS transistors?

The three main types of MOS transistors are NMOS (N-channel MOS), PMOS (P-channel MOS), and CMOS (Complementary MOS). NMOS and PMOS transistors use only one type of charge carrier (either electrons or holes) to control the flow of current, while CMOS transistors use both types of charge carriers for improved efficiency and performance.

4. How are MOS transistors used in electronic devices?

MOS transistors are used in a variety of electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, and televisions. They can be found in the form of integrated circuits (ICs) and are used for tasks such as amplifying signals, switching on and off, and controlling the flow of current in different parts of a circuit.

5. What are some common applications of impedance and MOS transistors?

Impedance and MOS transistors have numerous applications in the field of electronics. Some common examples include audio amplifiers, voltage regulators, digital logic circuits, and memory devices. They are also used in communication systems, power supplies, and motor control circuits.