1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Impedance - Current phasor

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    Impedance -- Current phasor

In a series circuit of two elements, the voltage and current, for w = 2000 rad/s, are V = 150|-45° and I = 4,74|-116,6°.That variation in the frequency of the source would result in a phasor current of 6 amps? Assuming an unlimited variation in the frequency, what is the maximum possible value for the current?

The answer is 23.6% reduction in f
    And the maximum 15 amps

I not find the answer
    My attempt:

Z = V/I = 31,6|71,6° = 9,97 + 30i
    Xl = 30
    wL = 30
    L = 0,015 and f = 318Hz

For I = 6 amps I assumed I' = 6|-116,6
    Z' = V/I' = 25|71,6° = 7,89 + 23,72i
    Xl = 23,72
    2pif'L = 23,72
    f' = 252 Hz

I find f' reduction 20,76% is correct ? How I find the maximum value for the current ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Impedance -- Current phasor

Your mistake is in assuming the phase of the 6-amp current is the same as the previous phase. As the frequency changes, the phase of the impedance changes, so the phase relationship of the voltage and current will change.

You have an RL circuit, so the impedance is given by Z=R+iωL. At the new frequency ω', you should have Z'=R+iω'L. Note that the real part of the impedance doesn't change between the two cases; only the imaginary part does.

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3

To find w' I need z'. How calculate z' ?

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try solving for the magnitude of Z'. Since you know the real part, you can find the imaginary part and solve for ω.

6. Jun 8, 2010 #5

Xl = sqrt(25^2 - 9,97^2)
    Xl = 22,93
    w' = 1528,67 and f' = 243,3 (23,6% reduction)
    Thanks

How I find maximum possible value for the current ?

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6

Think about how the magnitude of impedance changes in time. Does it stay constant? Does it have a minimum or a maximum? What should it be to yield the maximum value for the current?

8. Jun 9, 2010 #7

The maximum value is when the imaginary part is 0.
    Z = V / I = 150 / 9,97(real part) = 15A

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook