Impedance - Current phasor

In summary, the conversation discusses how a change in frequency affects the phasor current in a series circuit. The maximum possible value for the current can be found when the imaginary part of the impedance is 0, resulting in a current of 15 amps.
viciado123
Impedance -- Current phasor

In a series circuit of two elements, the voltage and current, for w = 2000 rad/s, are V = 150|-45° and I = 4,74|-116,6°.That variation in the frequency of the source would result in a phasor current of 6 amps? Assuming an unlimited variation in the frequency, what is the maximum possible value for the current?

The answer is 23.6% reduction in f
And the maximum 15 amps

I not find the answer
My attempt:

Z = V/I = 31,6|71,6° = 9,97 + 30i
Xl = 30
wL = 30
L = 0,015 and f = 318Hz

For I = 6 amps I assumed I' = 6|-116,6
Z' = V/I' = 25|71,6° = 7,89 + 23,72i
Xl = 23,72
2pif'L = 23,72
f' = 252 Hz

I find f' reduction 20,76% is correct ? How I find the maximum value for the current ?

Physics news on Phys.org

viciado123 said:
In a series circuit of two elements, the voltage and current, for w = 2000 rad/s, are V = 150|-45° and I = 4,74|-116,6°.That variation in the frequency of the source would result in a phasor current of 6 amps? Assuming an unlimited variation in the frequency, what is the maximum possible value for the current?

The answer is 23.6% reduction in f
And the maximum 15 amps

I not find the answer
My attempt:

Z = V/I = 31,6|71,6° = 9,97 + 30i
Xl = 30
wL = 30
L = 0,015 and f = 318Hz

For I = 6 amps I assumed I' = 6|-116,6
Z' = V/I' = 25|71,6° = 7,89 + 23,72i
Xl = 23,72
2pif'L = 23,72
f' = 252 Hz

I find f' reduction 20,76% is correct ? How I find the maximum value for the current ?
Your mistake is in assuming the phase of the 6-amp current is the same as the previous phase. As the frequency changes, the phase of the impedance changes, so the phase relationship of the voltage and current will change.

You have an RL circuit, so the impedance is given by Z=R+iωL. At the new frequency ω', you should have Z'=R+iω'L. Note that the real part of the impedance doesn't change between the two cases; only the imaginary part does.

vela said:
Your mistake is in assuming the phase of the 6-amp current is the same as the previous phase. As the frequency changes, the phase of the impedance changes, so the phase relationship of the voltage and current will change.

You have an RL circuit, so the impedance is given by Z=R+iωL. At the new frequency ω', you should have Z'=R+iω'L. Note that the real part of the impedance doesn't change between the two cases; only the imaginary part does.

To find w' I need z'. How calculate z' ?

Try solving for the magnitude of Z'. Since you know the real part, you can find the imaginary part and solve for ω.

vela said:
Try solving for the magnitude of Z'. Since you know the real part, you can find the imaginary part and solve for ω.

Xl = sqrt(25^2 - 9,97^2)
Xl = 22,93
w' = 1528,67 and f' = 243,3 (23,6% reduction)
Thanks

How I find maximum possible value for the current ?

viciado123 said:
How I find maximum possible value for the current ?

Think about how the magnitude of impedance changes in time. Does it stay constant? Does it have a minimum or a maximum? What should it be to yield the maximum value for the current?

cartonn30gel said:
Think about how the magnitude of impedance changes in time. Does it stay constant? Does it have a minimum or a maximum? What should it be to yield the maximum value for the current?

The maximum value is when the imaginary part is 0.
Z = V / I = 150 / 9,97(real part) = 15A

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is the measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) in an electrical circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated by taking the ratio of voltage to current in an AC circuit. It is represented by the equation Z = V/I, where Z is impedance, V is voltage, and I is current.

3. What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Impedance and resistance are both measures of opposition to the flow of current, but they differ in the type of current they apply to. Impedance applies to AC circuits, while resistance applies to DC circuits. Impedance also takes into account both resistance and reactance, while resistance only considers the resistance of a circuit.

4. What is a current phasor?

A current phasor is a graphical representation of the magnitude and phase angle of an AC current. It is represented by a vector with a length proportional to the current magnitude and an angle representing the phase difference between current and voltage.

5. How is impedance affected by frequency?

Impedance is directly proportional to frequency in an AC circuit. This means that as the frequency of the current increases, the impedance also increases. This is due to the reactance component of impedance, which is dependent on frequency.