1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impedance of Parallel Circuit

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    A 1000 ohm resistor, 500 picofarad capacitor, and 2 millihenry inductor are all conducted in parallel. What is the impedance if the frequency is 10 kilocycles per second? 10 megacycles per sec? At what frequency is the absolute value of impedance the greatest?

I know I start by considering admittances since those add in parallel. I will end up with a complex number. Can I take its modulus and then the reciprocal? Or do I take the reciprocal to get impedance and then take the modulus? Or do I take the reciprocal to get impedance and leave it as the complex number?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have a complex admittance.
    The complex impedance is the reciprocal of the complex admittance
    "Impedence" and "complex impedance" can be used interchangeably: you'll have to use the context of your classes to decide if the modulus is expected or not (that's how I'd interpret it.)

note; if ##y=a+jb##
    then, using ##|z|=|1/y|## (i.e. reciprocal then modulus):$$z=1/y = 1/(a+jb) = (a-jb)/(a^2-b^2)\Rightarrow |z| = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}/(a^2-b^2)$$... something like that - what happens if you do it in the other order (i.e. modulus then reciprocal). Is ##|1/y|=1/|y|##)?

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    Ahah! I was certainly wrong to think I could do the modulus and then take the reciprocal, that would give something like sqrt(a^2+b^2), and it would ignore the denominator that you got in the modulus of z itself.

So if I were to take the modulus, it should ALWAYS be after I've gotten all the way to the end of the problem in complex numbers?

5. Nov 8, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It usually works out simpler that way anyhow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook