1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impedance ?

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1
    I have trouble figuring out how my textbook came up with the totals and am looking for step by step help. Here is what the text shows.

Z = R + j0 = R = 56 Ohm (in rectangular form [XL = 0])
    Z = R < 0 degrees = 56 < 0 degrees Ohm (in polar form)

Z = 0 + jXL = j100 Ohm (in rectangular form [R = 0])
    Z = XL < 90 degrees = 100 < 90 degrees Ohm (in polar form)

Z = R + jXL = 56 Ohm + j100 Ohm

Z = square root(R^2 + X^2L)<tan^-1(100 Ohm/56 Ohm) = 115<60.8 degrees Ohm

I think I figured out how to get the first number 115 but I'm having trouble on how the 60.8 degrees was determined. But a step by step explanation on how to get both numbers would be really helpful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

R and jXL form the orthogonal sides of a rectangle triangle. Z is the hypotenuse. It's modulus is [tex]\sqrt{R^2 + X_L^2}[/tex] and the phase is the angle between the hypotenuse and the side R: [tex]tan^{-1}\frac{X_L}{R}[/tex]
  4. Jan 18, 2008 #3
    I think I figured out where I went wrong. I know I need to divide XL/R and then multiply it by tan^-1. Only problem is I don't know what tan^-1 is. What does tan^-1 equal?
  5. Jan 18, 2008 #4

You don't have to multiply for anything. [tex]tan^{-1}[/tex] is the trigonometric function inverse of the tangent. It means the arc whose tangent is...
  6. Jan 18, 2008 #5
    I'm sorry I don't understand. Can you give a step by step example?
  7. Jan 18, 2008 #6

Have you ever studied trigonometry? Are you familiar with the functions sine, cosine and tangent?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?