1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impeding a car's velocity by going over a speedbump with a certain height (radius).

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car goes over a speedbump, which has the cross-section of a cylinder of radius R embedded in the roadway. If you want a car driving with a speed Vo to be impeded, how large must R be?

I'm very confused about this problem because we have not discussed the topic in class and I have a terrible book. I want to say that you use the centripetal force equation, but that is for when velocity is constant? I'm not sure... :confused:

Knowns:
    V initial = Vo
    V final = 0
    mass = m
    Radius = height of the speed bump

Unknowns:
    Radius

2. Relevant equations
    F = m(v^2)/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    Again, I am having trouble and do not know where to begin. I want to learn how to do this; not get a quick answer. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    Re: Impeding a car's velocity by going over a speedbump with a certain height (radius

We need two numbers to better define the speed bump, the radius R and the height of the section of a cylinder. Is it half a cylinder, a quarter? I hope you understand.

As for impeding the car you need to be more specific. A car with a very stiff suspension will handle the speed bump differently then a car with a very soft suspension. I think we need more information.

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    Re: Impeding a car's velocity by going over a speedbump with a certain height (radius

This is just how my professor operates. He makes us solve variables with other variables rather than numeric values.

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

A speed bump won't slow down a car much (assuming it doesn't damage the car's tires, wheels or suspension). Perhaps the goal is to find R so that v02 / R translates in to 1 g of acceleration, but even that would not slow down a car much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook