Imperfections in magnet pole pieces

In summary, the conversation is about designing a permanent magnet for low-field NMR experiments on a tight budget. The magnet has a small saw cut in the edge and the speaker is wondering how this will affect the homogeneity. They plan on shimming the magnets and have tried modeling the effect, but need a quantitative assessment. The desired homogeneity is 1 ppm or better. A photo of the purchased discs is requested to better understand the situation.
Christoffer B
TL;DR Summary
I'm designing a gap magnet for NMR experiments, and the steel pole pieces I have obtained has a 5 mm deep 1mm wide saw cut into the peripherie. Will that be catastrophic for field homogeneity?
Hi all, I'm fairly new here.

I'm currently designing an as-homogene-as-possible permanent magnet for low-field NMR and similar experiments. I'm on a fairly tight budget, and having finally found pole pieces for my magnets, I got them even though they have a small saw cut in the edge. approx. 5 mm from the peripherie towards the center, all the way through. Both magnets and pole pieces are cylindrical disks, 10 cm in diameter, magnets are 15mm thick and pole pieces are 5.

Asuming that i can get the pole pieces parallel and polished to a mirror finnish, how bad would you estimate these cuts would mess up my homogeneity? I plan on having a way of shimming the magnets regardless.

I've tried modelling the effect in FEMM (free magnet finite element software), and it looks negligible towards the center of the magnet, but obviously looking at field lines on an image isn't really quantitative. Please see attached.

Thanks for the interest!

--Chris

Attachments

• flawed pole.jpg
    flawed pole.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 221
Engineering news on Phys.org
In general you want homogeneity of 1 ppm or better through your sample volume to resolve individual lines. It can be worse if you just want to say "I got a signal out of the sample."

I can't picture your description. Can you attach a photo?

Thanks for your reply! I'm hoping to get crude structural analysis resolution, so ppm level is likely needed.

Sorry for the poor description, here's a link to the discs I purchased:https://www.ebay.com/itm/102mm-x-5mm-Round-Disc-Circle-Mild-Steel-Sheet-Plate-Size-/264306833910?

I guess you wouldn't expect homogeneity right on the edge of pole pieces anyway, but I'm having trouble visualising the magnitude of the influence of the defect.

1. What are magnet pole pieces?

Magnet pole pieces are the parts of a magnet that create the magnetic field. They are typically made of ferromagnetic materials like iron, nickel, or cobalt.

2. What are imperfections in magnet pole pieces?

Imperfections in magnet pole pieces refer to any irregularities or defects in their shape, composition, or magnetic properties. These can affect the strength and uniformity of the magnetic field they produce.

3. How do imperfections in magnet pole pieces affect their performance?

Imperfections in magnet pole pieces can cause variations in the magnetic field, leading to uneven attraction or repulsion forces. This can result in inaccurate measurements or inefficient operation of devices that rely on magnets.

4. What are some common causes of imperfections in magnet pole pieces?

Imperfections in magnet pole pieces can be caused by manufacturing errors, such as uneven cooling or improper shaping. They can also occur due to wear and tear, corrosion, or exposure to extreme temperatures or magnetic fields.

5. How can imperfections in magnet pole pieces be minimized or corrected?

To minimize imperfections in magnet pole pieces, careful manufacturing processes and quality control measures can be implemented. If imperfections are present, they can sometimes be corrected through processes like polishing or annealing to improve their shape and magnetic properties.