Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part

Your name]In summary, the forum user is seeking help with question 8 of a paper in Q. They are confused about the instructions to "calculate" N and how to approach finding an expression for it. They also question the connection to part iv) of the paper. The responder offers guidance and suggests reaching out for further assistance.
Physics Enemy
I've attached the paper in Q, please see Q 8.

Not sure what to do. Also confused about the fact it says 'calculate', when it depends on p and delta, so I don't see why I should get a numerical value. I don't know how to get an expression for N here, apart from a really messy and horrible quadratic. So I guess I *can* get an expression for N, but something tells me it's a bad way to go about it. And why does it say to compare with part iv)? What's the link? Seems quite random to me.

Anyway, if anyone is free to help, thoughts appreciated. :-)

Attachments

• comp_1_2004.pdf
    299.6 KB · Views: 200
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your questions about the paper in Q, specifically question 8. I understand that you are feeling confused about how to approach the problem and the instructions given. As a fellow scientist, I would be happy to offer some guidance and clarification.

Firstly, when the question asks you to "calculate", it means to find a numerical value for N using the given information. This may involve using equations and solving for unknown variables, such as p and delta. It is important to note that the value of N will depend on these variables, so it will not be a fixed number.

In terms of getting an expression for N, it is not necessary to solve for a specific value of N. Instead, you can express N in terms of p and delta using an equation or formula. This will provide a general understanding of how N changes with different values of p and delta.

As for comparing with part iv), this is likely because part iv) may also involve calculating or expressing N in some way. By comparing the two, you may gain a better understanding of the relationship between N and the variables involved.

I understand that the process may seem messy and challenging, but that is the nature of science. It is important to persevere and think critically about the problem to find a solution. If you are still struggling, I suggest reaching out to your instructor or a colleague for further assistance.

Best of luck with your calculations and analysis.

1. What is the purpose of "Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part"?

The purpose of "Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part" is to assess the knowledge and understanding of students in a specific subject or field, as well as their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How is "Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part" different from other exams?

"Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part" is different from other exams because it is designed by experts in the field and covers a wide range of topics, making it a comprehensive and rigorous assessment of students' knowledge and skills.

3. What topics are covered in "Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part"?

"Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part" covers a variety of topics related to the subject or field, including theory, practical applications, and problem-solving scenarios. It aims to test students on their understanding of key concepts and their ability to apply them in different contexts.

4. How is the difficulty level of "Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part" determined?

The difficulty level of "Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part" is determined by experts in the field who carefully design and review the exam questions. The questions may vary in difficulty, with some testing basic knowledge and others requiring higher-order thinking skills.

5. How can I prepare for "Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part"?

To prepare for "Imperial Comprehensive Paper 1 Q8 2004 - Last Part", it is important to review key concepts and theories covered in the subject or field. Practice past exams or sample questions to become familiar with the format and types of questions that may be asked. It is also helpful to seek guidance from teachers or professors and to engage in active studying techniques, such as group discussions and concept mapping.