1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implementing Sard's theorem.

1. Aug 1, 2008 #1
    I want to use the theorem that states that if C is the set of critical points in N of a smooth function f:N->M (where N and M are manifolds), then f(C) is of measure zero in M.
    in solving the next statement:
    "if N is a submanifold of M, with dim(N)<dim(M), then N has measure zero in M".

Now let's look at: f(x)=x for f:N->M, this function is smooth, but because the differential of f, df isn't onto the tangent space of M, each value of N is critical, thus f(C)=N, so N is of measure zero in M by sard's theorem.

The book I'm using asks to prove this without sard's theorem which looks a bit hard, although I think I can assume wlog, that M=R^m and N=R^n, and n<m, but then I'm not sure how to prove that R^n has measure zero in R^m, without using the fact that R^n is diffeoemorphic to {(x1,...,xn,0,....,0) in R^m}.
    any hints?
    thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2
    Can you prove that R has measure zero in R^2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?