1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Implications of e^i*pi = -1

1. Aug 17, 2016 #1
    Before I start, there are only really two pieces of information this concerns and that is the idea that 1x = 1 and that ei*π = -1

So it would follow that (ei*π)i = -1i
    And so that would mean that i2i = e which doesn't seem to be right at all. Where is the issue here as there must be one but I am sure I don't have the knowledge required to figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re-investigate this aspect.

4. Aug 17, 2016 #3
    I've edited it to make another point anyway hahaha but yeah I shall

5. Aug 17, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Point of order: please do NOT make changes to your original post. It makes very confusing reading for late arriving participants.

6. Aug 17, 2016 #5
    My humbumblest apologies and it shan't happen again.

7. Aug 17, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

8. Aug 17, 2016 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

De nada. You're new to the forum.

9. Aug 17, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Not all exponentiation laws work with complex numbers, and with a complex base those exponents are not unique any more.

$$i^{2i} = e^{2i \log(i)} = e^{2i (i \pi/2)} = e^{- \pi}$$ using the principal value of the logarithm, indeed.

10. Aug 17, 2016 #9
  11. Aug 17, 2016 #10
    I just find it amusing that what appears to be an extremely non real value seems to equal a simple real number

12. Aug 17, 2016 #11
    I assume your log refers to ln? Sorry just being picky

13. Aug 17, 2016 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Outside of high school, logarithms with base ##e## are always denoted as ##\log##. The notation ln is not really used anymore.

14. Aug 17, 2016 #13

Mark44

I don't believe that's true. Every calculus textbook I have distinguishes between log (meaning base-10 logarithm) and ln. Granted, all of my textbooks are at least 15 to 20 years, and some are older.

15. Aug 21, 2016 #14
    I know it adds little to the conversation, but I have to concur. Pretty much all my textbooks use ln. Maybe it's an undergrad thing?

16. Aug 22, 2016 #15
    What seems to be the problem? I don't see one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted