1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit diferentiation

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find dy/dx of this equation -
    [tex] y*sec(x)=3x*tan(y) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

-product rule
    -derivative of sec(x) with respect to x is sec(x)tan(x) i believe
    -derivative of tan(x) is sec^2(x) i believe

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] y*sec(x)=3x*tan(y) [/tex]

[tex] y*sec(x)*tan(x)+sec(x) \frac{dy}{dx}=3x*sec^2(y)\frac{dy}{dx}+3*tan(y)[/tex]

[tex] sec(x)\frac{dy}{dx}-3x*sec^2(x)\frac{dy}{dx}=3*tan(y) -y*sec(x)*tan(x)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}(sec(x)-3x*sec^2(x))= 3*tan(y) -y*sec(x)*tan(x)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{3*tan(y) -y*sec(x)*tan(x)}{sec(x)-3x*sec^2(y)} [/tex]

That last line is my solution. I do homework online and every time i enter this it says it is wrong. So where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2
    Your last line is correct. Perhaps the problem is with how you entered it. What is the exact string that you entered?

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    I entered it the almost the exact same way except for sec^2 . I typed it in as (sec(y))^2. Are you sure I am right?

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    That's the unambiguous way to write it. I have checked the differentiation independently. In your derivation, you switched one of the y's for an x, but you got the last line, so I assume that was a typo. If your parentheses are all correct in your typed version, I would go ahead and show the professor the problem and your solution personally.

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    Ok. Thanks for double checking for me then.

7. Oct 19, 2009 #6
    FIGURED IT OUT. The answer I have here is correct. Its a hundred percent correct. dy/dx does equal that value that i posted in my original post. TOO BAD THEY ASKED FOR dx/dy. Its the classic case of not reading the question correctly :P. I'm so used to taking the derivative of dy/dx I just made the assumption that it was dy/dx. Once I found out that it was dx/dy I was able to get the answer right on the first try :D. Sorry about causing you any trouble if I did.

Many thanks for your checking
    -hover

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook