Implicit diff (2 var), error or what?

In summary, the equation x^3 - y^3 + sin(x^3 - y) does not have a point (0, \pi) on the graph and the derivative is not 4.
trancefishy
i am working on a homework assignment. it's easy, or, so i think...

Given.
[tex] 3x^2 - xy^3 + sin(x^3 - y) = 4 [/tex]

Find [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]

not a problem. i ended up with

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac {6x - y^3 + 3x^2 cos(x^3 - y)}{3xy^2 + cos(x^3 - y)} [/tex]

using implicit differention.

now, "What is the slope of the curve defined by the equation at the point [tex] (0, \pi) [/tex]?"

at first, i plugged it into the derivative, ended up with [tex] \pi^3 [/tex], but, upon inspection, i noticed that the point [tex] (0, \pi) [/tex] does not exist in the original equation. am I to find the slope of the curve of the derivative, or is this a typo, or am i looking at this problem incorrectly? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't you just use point slope form: [itex] y-y_{1} = m(x-x_{1}) [/itex]? Just plug in the values into the derivative and work off from the above form?

um, point slope form looks messy, but that's besides the point. perhaps this wasn't clear enough. the point [tex] (0, \pi) [/tex] doesn't exist in the original equation. not on the graph. [tex] sin(-\pi) [/tex] does not equal 4. that's the crux of my problem.

IF the point was on the original graph, no problem, plug the values into the derivative and what I get is [tex] \pi^3 [/tex].

Last edited:
trancefishy said:
um, point slope form looks messy, but that's besides the point. perhaps this wasn't clear enough. the point [tex] (0, \pi) [/tex] doesn't exist in the original equation. not on the graph. [tex] sin(-\pi) [/tex] does not equal 4. that's the crux of my problem.
Take the limit as x-> 0 and y -> Pi or look at the graph?

I think it is a typo. There are in infinite many tangent lines to a point... so the point would have to be on the curve in order for the derivative you found to be relavent.

looking at the graph is what caused me to realize the point isn't on there. it's not even close. now, as x approches 0 from the left, y approaches 2pi. the slope would also be increasing without bound. but that's for 2pi, which has no bearing on my problem.

it's becoming obvious to me that this must be a typo, though, it's so obviously incorrect i just dont' know how it got by

thank you, jameson

1. What is implicit differentiation in two variables?

Implicit differentiation in two variables is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one of the variables. This means that the function is expressed in terms of both variables, and the derivative is found by treating one variable as a constant and differentiating with respect to the other variable.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

The main difference between implicit and explicit differentiation is the type of function they are used on. Explicit differentiation is used on functions that are explicitly defined in terms of one variable, while implicit differentiation is used on functions that are expressed in terms of both variables. Additionally, implicit differentiation often involves the use of the chain rule.

3. What is the purpose of using implicit differentiation?

The purpose of using implicit differentiation is to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one of the variables. This is useful in situations where it is difficult or impossible to express the function in terms of one variable, but the derivative is still needed for further calculations.

4. What is an error term in implicit differentiation?

An error term in implicit differentiation is the difference between the actual value of the derivative and the calculated value. This can occur due to rounding errors or mistakes in the calculation process. It is important to keep track of the error term to ensure the accuracy of the final result.

5. How do you handle error terms in implicit differentiation?

To handle error terms in implicit differentiation, it is important to keep track of them throughout the calculation process. This can be done by using the notation dy/dx to represent the derivative and d(dy)/dx to represent the error term. It is also important to round the final result to the appropriate number of significant figures to account for any errors in the calculation.