Finding Horizontal Tangent Lines of an Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding horizontal tangent lines of an equation through differentiation. The differentiation attempted is correct and the next step is to set the derivative to zero to find the horizontal tangents. The speaker also mentions the need to consider vertical tangents by solving for the denominator.
Bo_
The problem is to find the horizontal tangent lines of an equation. Here's my attempted differentiation.

y^2 = x^3 - x + 1

{dy/dx} = (3x^2 - 1)/(2y)

Correct, or no?

i'm going to need more help going forward even if that is right, I just want to make sure it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bo, I am pretty rusty at much of this but I will try to help since the forum is so empty at the moment.

It looks like you got the differentiation correct.

deffinitely

ok thanks, so assuming it's right, do set equal to y, then zero? In other words:

0 = (3x^2 - 1) / 2

and then quadratic formula using that^^^^? (remember I'm trying to find all slope zero tangent lines of the original equation.) If my procedural thinking is correct, then I don't think I need any more help, thanks.

I'm trying to find all slope zero tangent lines of the original equation

You have found the slope for any point of that function except where the slope is undefined or wherever the graph may cross itself. To find the slope you would simply plug in your x and y values. However as you said you want to know the horizontal tangents.

You can't just simply set the y values to zero, you need to set the whole derivative to zero and solve the numerator for horizontal tangents, the denominator for vertical tangents.

I can see clearly now the rain is gone, thanks.

1. What is a horizontal tangent line?

A horizontal tangent line is a line that is parallel to the x-axis and touches the graph of an equation at only one point. This point is called a point of tangency, and the slope of the tangent line at this point is equal to 0.

2. How do you find the horizontal tangent line of an equation?

To find the horizontal tangent line of an equation, you need to take the derivative of the equation and set it equal to 0. The x-value of the resulting solution will be the x-coordinate of the point of tangency. Then, substitute this x-value back into the original equation to find the y-coordinate of the point of tangency. Finally, use the point-slope formula to write the equation of the horizontal tangent line.

3. Can an equation have more than one horizontal tangent line?

Yes, an equation can have more than one horizontal tangent line. This typically occurs when the graph of the equation has multiple horizontal sections or curves.

4. What does a horizontal tangent line represent in terms of the original equation?

A horizontal tangent line represents a point where the slope of the original equation is equal to 0. This can also be interpreted as a point where the rate of change of the equation is 0, or where the function is at a maximum or minimum value.

5. Are there any special cases when finding horizontal tangent lines?

Yes, there are a few special cases when finding horizontal tangent lines. One case is when the original equation is a constant function, in which case the entire graph is a horizontal tangent line. Another case is when the derivative of the equation is undefined, in which case there is no horizontal tangent line. Finally, if the derivative of the equation is always equal to 0, then every point on the graph can be considered a point of tangency and the equation will have an infinite number of horizontal tangent lines.