Implicit Differentiation help please

In summary, by differentiating 1+3sec^2(y) with respect to x, it can be shown that d^2y/dx^2=3sec^2(y)tan(y).
kenshaw93

Homework Statement

If siny=2sinx and (dy/dx)^2=1+3sec^2(y) show that:
by differentiating 1+3sec^2(y) with respect to x, d^2y/dx^2=3sec^2(y)tan(y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kenshaw93 - have you had an attempt?

sorry i didn't write it, i thought it would be useless but i tried differentiating 1+3sec^2(y) and all i got was 3tany(dy/dx)... if that's write then i don't know how to continue

i meant right not write*-

i also tried finding dy/dx of siny=2sinx and i got 2cos(X)/cos(y), then i squared that to get (dy/dx)^2 and it matched the given one ie. 1+3sec^2(y) which i also found it to be equal to (cos^2y + 3)/cos^2y.
so:
dy/dx=2cos(X)/cos(y)
(dy/dx)^2=1+3sec^2(y)=(cos^2y + 3)/cos^2y.

kenshaw93 said:
sorry i didn't write it, i thought it would be useless but i tried differentiating 1+3sec^2(y) and all i got was 3tany(dy/dx)... if that's write then i don't know how to continue

maybe show you working for the derivative here, i don't think that derivative is quite right, i find it helps to do the following
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(1+3sec^2(y)) = \frac{d}{dx}(1+3cos^{-2}(y)) [/tex]
then differentiate from there using the power & chain rules

also take try differentiating both sides of the equation implicitly & things should simplify...
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}( (\frac{dy}{dx})^2) = \frac{d}{dx}(1+3sec^2(y))[/tex]

thank you that really helped. this is what i have managed to do with your help:
d/dx(1+3sec^2(y))= 6sec^3y.siny.dy/dx
d/dx(dy/dx)^2=6sec^3y.siny.dy/dx
i canceled the dy/dx from the RHS and LHS to get:
d2y/dx2= 6 sec^2y tany

thats a great step forward but the answer needed is 3sec^2y tany... I've probably done a silly mistake somewhere there but i can't find it. Thank you so much for your help and tips :D

What is implicit differentiation and when is it used?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not expressed explicitly in terms of one variable. It is used when the function cannot be easily solved for one variable, making it difficult to use other methods of differentiation.

How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used when a function is expressed explicitly in terms of one variable, making it easier to find the derivative. In implicit differentiation, the function is not expressed explicitly and requires the use of the chain rule and other differentiation rules to find the derivative.

What are the key steps in performing implicit differentiation?

The key steps in performing implicit differentiation are identifying which variable is dependent and which is independent, using the chain rule to differentiate the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable, and then solving for the derivative by isolating the dependent variable on one side of the equation.

How do I know when to use implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is typically used when the function contains both the dependent and independent variable on both sides of the equation, or when the function is not easily solved for one variable. It can also be used when finding the derivative of a polar equation or an implicit curve.

Can implicit differentiation be used to find higher order derivatives?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be used to find higher order derivatives by repeatedly applying the differentiation rules. However, as the order of the derivative increases, the calculations become more complex and time-consuming.