Implicit differentiation in matlab

In summary, to solve your implicit differential equation, you need to use either ode45 or ode15s instead of decic.
oby7842
I have a implicit differential equation Re(u*ux-u^2)=0 ( It was larger equation but i simplified it here). I wrote down my function in m.file as follows:

function Z=fun_imp(x,u,ux);
Re=25;
Z=0;
Z=Re*(u*ux-2*u);

Before going to solving differential equation to find out consistent initial value i write following prog:

clc;
clear;
x0=0;
u0=-1.095;
ux0=0;

[u0,ux0]=decic('fun_imp',x0,u0,1,ux0,0);

but I am geting following error:

? Error using ==> initial
Not enough input arguments.

I will appreciate if anyone ans my question.

regards,
Omar

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are using the wrong function for solving the differential equation. The correct function for solving this kind of equation is ode45 or ode15s. These functions are part of the MATLAB ODE suite, and they are designed to solve initial value problems involving ordinary differential equations. You should use one of these functions instead of decic.

What is implicit differentiation in Matlab?

Implicit differentiation in Matlab is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of one variable. It involves using the symbolic math toolbox in Matlab to differentiate the function with respect to the dependent variable.

How do I perform implicit differentiation in Matlab?

To perform implicit differentiation in Matlab, you can use the "diff" function from the symbolic math toolbox. This function takes in the function and the variable to differentiate with respect to as its inputs and returns the derivative in terms of the specified variable.

Can implicit differentiation be done for multivariable functions in Matlab?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be performed for multivariable functions in Matlab using the "diff" function. You can specify multiple variables in the input to differentiate with respect to and the function will return a derivative in terms of those variables.

What are the applications of implicit differentiation in Matlab?

Implicit differentiation in Matlab has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find rates of change, optimize functions, and solve differential equations, among other things.

Are there any limitations to using implicit differentiation in Matlab?

While implicit differentiation in Matlab can be a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not work for all types of functions, especially those with discontinuities or undefined points. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the complexity of the function and the chosen step size. It is always important to verify the results obtained through implicit differentiation in Matlab.